Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It: Mahogany card?

tag
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Discover It: Mahogany card?

I checked my mail today, expecting my new debit card through a local CU. It was FINALLY there. But, I also received this interesting piece of mail from Discover...?

It looks like the Discover It, but instead of the normal silver card, it's mahogany? It has an invitation number... This isn't a pre-qualified offer, is it? I've never received anything like this in my life, so I have no clue. Anyone else get this recently?

I'm hard-pressed to believe that my credit looks good enough for pre-qualification, especially with Discover. And also, has anyone had luck with applications as a stay-at-home parent?

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover It: Mahogany card?

@xaiduz114 wrote:

I checked my mail today, expecting my new debit card through a local CU. It was FINALLY there. But, I also received this interesting piece of mail from Discover...?

It looks like the Discover It, but instead of the normal silver card, it's mahogany? It has an invitation number... This isn't a pre-qualified offer, is it? I've n received anything like this in my life, so I have no clue. Anyone else get this recently?

I'm hard-pressed to believe that my credit looks good enough for pre-qualification, especially with Discover. And also, has anyone had luck with applications as a stay-at-home parent?

Is it possibly the card that is listed in this thread : http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/New-Discover-2-IT-Card/m-p/3176390#U3176390

You should have no issue with applying as a stay at home parent, assuming their is still a household income! My mother just applied for 2 new cards last month and put down "homemaker" as occupation and didn't run into any issue. An amex rep confirmed that "homemaker" was a profession so I don't really think they care. 

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Until you get your collections you have listed worked on and your credit score into the 600s you will be wasting an inquiry I'm sorry to tell you. I think you should list your baddies and ask for advice on the best way to goodwill or pay for deletion etc in the rebuilding forum. That will help your credit report and credit score. Good Luck

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
H14
Contributor

All the prequal mail offers I've gotten for the it have shown the Garnet card design on them [also in my signature].

There are a number of different designs you can get for it if you wish, and at no extra cost as well. 

Message 4 of 7
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Like mentioned...the card comes in a variety of colors/options.

Also like mentioned, I wouldn't app for the card until you take care of your report and allow your scores to increase. 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 7
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

I am currently a "stay at home" mom and i have all of the credit cards in my house. My mother had quite a few while she was a homemaker for 20 years. That isnt a problem.

I would wait until your score is around 650 at least.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 6 of 7
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Thank you for all the information, everyone! Definitely taking it to heart. I just got excited that I received this, as I said I've never had anything from any credit lender sent in my name in my life!

Already working on the baddies and have plans, so I guess we'll see where I go from here! Not gonna waste an inquiry on it, now, but maybe next year I can app and get approved!

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.