cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It: Making a payment on the closing date.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It: Making a payment on the closing date.

My statement cuts tomorrow on the 25th and I still have a pending charge from the 20th that has yet to post. I figured it would post today but no such luck. If the charge posts tomorrow when my statement is set to close but I make a payment before 5pm, will that balance reflect on my next statement?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover It: Making a payment on the closing date.

I have a new discover card.  I wasn’t exactly sure when the Statement was going to cut, so I made PIF.  I PIF on the Statement date, before 5pm.  It still cut with a balance and reported the balance. Could be because it was my first payment. YMMV

Message 2 of 10
pip3man
Valued Contributor

If u made the payment before 5pm and the purchase post before the statement closes, it will report a $0 balance.

Message 3 of 10
JSS3
Valued Contributor

You won't be able to make a payment on charges that haven't posted. Not on Discover's website.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that, i'm talking about when the charge posts.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you pushing the payment to Discover or pulling it from your checking account?  I have always pushed my payments to Discover and they take at least a day usually three days.  So if you try it, I would suggest you pull the payment to Discover.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do it tonight by midnight it's possible.

But in my experience, an extra payment on the closing date never worked..especially on a Saturday.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, with the holiday. The charge probably won't post until Monday anyway.

Message 8 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

If Discover allows multiple payments in thew same month I would pay the minimum payment as soon as you get the new statement and then wait till the last moment to pay the rest off.  In this way you won't have a late payment.  I would never wait till the last day.  Too many horror stories here.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

By law, even if it takes several days for the payment to post, banks have to credit your payment as on time if you initiate it before the close of business on the due date. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to wait until the bitter end, though. It becomes a pain in the butt if something goes wrong.

However, there's no such guarantee if you're trying to pay by the statement cut date or any other self-imposed deadline.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.