Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It PC- Student Card Confusion

tag
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Discover It PC- Student Card Confusion

Hey guys,

So, I finally got around to calling Discover and PC'ing from the It Chrome to the plain It. Since I have DC & CSP, it was pointless to have Chrome but I held on to it since I have the Freedom as well and the categories appear written by the same person at times. Anyway, when I signed up for Discover two years ago I signed up for Discover It Student. I'm sure of it. I've since graduated so one of the questions I asked her was after changing to Discover It from Chrome I'd also like to PC to a regular Discover card. Her answer astounded me. She said "you have a regular Discover card. I can change your graduation date in your education column because it has you listed as graduating in '17 but apart from that your new Discover It isn't a student card." This is where I again said "gosh, I'm pretty sure I have the student card maybe my memory is failing me but I'm almost sure of it" (I said that to be nice. I know it). She said "no, you have a regular Discover card."

This begs the question: is she wrong, did somehow PC'ing to the regular it free me from the student version (I doubt it) or does it really not matter in Discover's quirky universe between a student or regular card and they are really one in the same card? I must admit I can't find the word student anywhere on my account or card but I know I have it. Currently my Discover card is at student levels. It's my lowest card at $2,000 but to be honest I don't use it either. What say you?

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Discover It PC- Student Card Confusion

She is correct 

When you PC'd Discover student it became an it card

Discover It is one card  in 2 flavors 

Difference being cashback or miles 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

She is correct 

Thanks MyJourney! Good to know

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

She is correct 

Thanks MyJourney! Good to know

You're very welcome 

Any time Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

You'll only move up from there (CLI) with that card!!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

Hey guys,

So, I finally got around to calling Discover and PC'ing from the It Chrome to the plain It. Since I have DC & CSP, it was pointless to have Chrome but I held on to it since I have the Freedom as well and the categories appear written by the same person at times. Anyway, when I signed up for Discover two years ago I signed up for Discover It Student. I'm sure of it. I've since graduated so one of the questions I asked her was after changing to Discover It from Chrome I'd also like to PC to a regular Discover card. Her answer astounded me. She said "you have a regular Discover card. I can change your graduation date in your education column because it has you listed as graduating in '17 but apart from that your new Discover It isn't a student card." This is where I again said "gosh, I'm pretty sure I have the student card maybe my memory is failing me but I'm almost sure of it" (I said that to be nice. I know it). She said "no, you have a regular Discover card."

This begs the question: is she wrong, did somehow PC'ing to the regular it free me from the student version (I doubt it) or does it really not matter in Discover's quirky universe between a student or regular card and they are really one in the same card? I must admit I can't find the word student anywhere on my account or card but I know I have it. Currently my Discover card is at student levels. It's my lowest card at $2,000 but to be honest I don't use it either. What say you?

I believe that she is wrong based on my own experience with a student card from Discover, and because.... Why would a graduation date even come up in the conversation if it wasn't indicated somewhere that the account was for students? If something doesn't make sense, then I simply don't believe it to be true.

My Discover It card was originally a student Discover More card that I picked up in 2012. I've been told several times that the card is no longer a student card but I don't believe it at all. Somewhere in the system, the account is flagged as a student account, which has basically limited the card's ability to grow. For almost as long as I have had the card, my Discover It has been one of the lowest limit cards I have ever had. I'm almost positive that if I had applied for the regular card back in 2012 things would be very different today. Discover currently makes up about 1.5% of my overall credit card limits. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been wondering about all of this too. I applied for the discover it, and in the spirit of being honest, on the app it says "if you are a student with a job click student." Well I'm an adult student but I clicked student anyway as I said to be honest and I wasn't sure what to pick. I can't find any evidence of what my card is. I'm wondering if I should call to see if I can get a PC but I JUST got the card. I don't want to be limited in growing. And if I did call idk what  I would say? I don't want to be capped at a certain credit limit? It's quite confusing, I agree. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.