Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Student Card CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It Student Card CLI

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope, was $50 when secured, is $50 now.  I maxed out my secured deposit early on since I knew I would use the card a lot.  Maxed and PIF'd frequently during any given month (I have a high income and no real debts or payments to make monthly so Discover got almost all my spend for the first 4-5 months!).  Not going to stress it, if it takes a year to start growing, so be it.

Disco seems to like low spending. Weird among issuers, but I got an auto-CLI this month after spending a whopping 4% of my CL.

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've heard that!  And honestly, I don't need higher limits anyway because I never run balances and don't need it for padding.  The big issue is the $2500 limit means if a $10,000 vacation deal pops up, I have to play all sorts of weird games to get a way to buy it.  

Plus because of the first year cashback match, Discover gets most of my spend.  After that first year is up, Discover will get whatever the 2% categories are (gas? restaurants?) --not very much since my car is 100% electric and my restaurant spend is close to $0.  I can and will use Discover Deals for those rare offers, though.

Once February comes around, my spend will definitely fall to under $100-$200 per month.  Maybe less.

Message 12 of 22
BurgeoningHope
Frequent Contributor

Data point - hubby's card began as a secured card as well, and still has the $50 cash advance limit. It's a ludicrous number, but he/we don't intend to ever use it, so whatever.

He puts some nice spend on it - we do eat out pretty regularly, and he sometimes takes work teams out for lunch/dinner/celebration, so it'd be awfully nice to have more room than we do, given reimbursement takes about a month. But if Disco hates spend, now that he's out of his first year, we could look at other options 

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that intend to use it, except for the cool cash back option, but my cash advance limit is half my CL which is 5.5K. 

Message 14 of 22
mrinal
New Contributor

@jesseh wrote:

Are you using your card a lot?

yes, I did. But not so much. I am an international student and I expend money when I really need to. Maybe, in the last 12 months, I spent around 15K.

Message 15 of 22
mrinal
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Very nice! Disco likes you!

Have you ever gotten a cash advance on your card? I've never used it (or plan to use it) but it's been stuck at $200 since my graduation auto-CLI. Looks like yours has grown substantially.

For the first time, I used 500 dollar as cash advance last month.

Message 16 of 22
mrinal
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you ever gotten a cash advance on your card? I've never used it (or plan to use it) but it's been stuck at $200 since my graduation auto-CLI. Looks like yours has grown substantially.

I can't ever imagine doing a cash advance on a CC and it surprises me that Discover is so obvious about the feature!

My cash advance limit is $50 on a $2500 CL -- I secured it with $2500, it graduated last month but no auto CLI at graduation and they denied me a CLI request 2 weeks from graduation.  So I guess they calculate the cash advance limit differently for different people since we both were previously secured.

Yes, I think so. My roommate has a discover card for a long time. His cash advance limit is only 10% of his total credit line. For me it is around 35%. It was my first credit card. I am an international student. When I applied for the card, I had to submit my I-20 and documents of my US bank account. I had around 8K in my account. Also, as proof of income, I submitted the document of Graduate Assistantship of my university. All this helped, I guess.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - Did they ever check your income? 

My gf has a Disco Student it Chrome and she's thinking of asking for CLI but she only has income from her parents and is under 21 so she can't claim other income. I wonder if they would ever ask you to send documents in for proof of income for the CLI.

Let me know! Thanks

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't ever imagine doing a cash advance on a CC and it surprises me that Discover is so obvious about the feature!

My cash advance limit is $50 on a $2500 CL -- I secured it with $2500, it graduated last month but no auto CLI at graduation and they denied me a CLI request 2 weeks from graduation.  So I guess they calculate the cash advance limit differently for different people since we both were previously secured.

Yes, I think so. My roommate has a discover card for a long time. His cash advance limit is only 10% of his total credit line. For me it is around 35%. It was my first credit card. I am an international student. When I applied for the card, I had to submit my I-20 and documents of my US bank account. I had around 8K in my account. Also, as proof of income, I submitted the document of Graduate Assistantship of my university. All this helped, I guess.

You submitted your i-20? That's weird. And us bank accounts as well? When i applied they asked me only for a copy of my SS card and proof of enrollment to my university(which may served as a proof of income as well due to the type of the document i submitted). My SL was 1500$ as well and cash advance was 800$.

Message 19 of 22
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Btw theres a big difference between Cash Advance and Cashover..... Shouldnt use a CA but Cashover.. is a great thing and they dont ding you for using it.... 

=)

-J

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.