Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Student (How to Recon)

tag
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

Discover It Student (How to Recon)

They denied I guess over a week ago, I tried calling in for a recon about 4 times now to no avail. I called today to ask for a "manual review", the CSR put me on hold for a minute or two to go speak with her manager. She came back and reiterated what her manager said, which was along the lines of "There's no way to overturn the computer's decision. You could try reapplying after establishing a longer credit history". I've seen approvals for the student card with my length of credit history, it's actually the second denied me, I tried before in Jan.

Reason for denial: Length of credit history (or something along those lines can't remember), and number of INQs in the last 6 months. {They pulled TU}

I haven't got my denial letter yet. My current longest credit history is at 7 months, AAoA of probably 3 months. # of INQs on TU = 8.

Any advice to get some positive results? Or should I just let it go?

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover It Student (How to Recon)

@WarJar101 wrote:

They denied I guess over a week ago, I tried calling in for a recon about 4 times now to no avail. I called today to ask for a "manual review", the CSR put me on hold for a minute or two to go speak with her manager. She came back and reiterated what her manager said, which was along the lines of "There's no way to overturn the computer's decision. You could try reapplying after establishing a longer credit history". I've seen approvals for the student card with my length of credit history, it's actually the second denied me, I tried before in Jan.

Reason for denial: Length of credit history (or something along those lines can't remember), and number of INQs in the last 6 months. {They pulled TU}

I haven't got my denial letter yet. My current longest credit history is at 7 months, AAoA of probably 3 months. # of INQs on TU = 8.

Given that your 4 reconsideration attempts have not proved fruitful, it's best to know when to accept it for what it is and let it be.   Just because others may have posted somewhat similar anecdotal information, those specific individuals' credit profiles are likely not the same as yours.  Just keep in mind, it does not prevent you from applying in the future.

Discover is a tough one to crack sometimes as they are somewhat conservative.  Inquires and lack of an established history can result in denials.

Message 2 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

@WarJar101 wrote:

8 inquiries is VERY HIGH for someone who only has 7 months of credit history. This means you got more than 1 inquiry on average per month.

I would say stop on the apps totally. Its unlikely any prime bank will let you open any new account as you are now. Let your AAoA be >1 year (or close to 1yr), and you will stand a much better chance getting cards from prime bank.

waiting 8 more months may seem very long, but its going to be very much worth it in the long run.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 5
meesh6036
Contributor

They denied me a few months ago because lack of accounts (for a student card??), and high INQ (I had ~4 total). After reading the forums I figured going for a recon wouldn't work.

Starting Score: Low 500's (2011)
Current Score:My Fico - 661
NFCU cashRewards 17.5k | NFCU GoRewards 14k |Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (USBank) 1k | Best Buy 2.8k | Walmart 1450 | Target 300 | Amazon 2.1k | CareCredit 2.6k | Macy's 1.5k | Macy's Furniture 3.5k | Lowe's 3k | Discover It 1.8k
Message 4 of 5
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

After 4 failed attempts, I think it's best to let go. After all you have aquired some good cards. I suggest you let them age and then try applying in the future after you have some solid history.  

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.