Did you mean: 

Discover It and Chase Freedom Cash Back Bonus

tag
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover It and Chase Freedom Cash Back Bonus

To my knowledge, they can afford these cashback bonuses:

1) They make a lot of profit off of merchant fees

2) Credit card fees (APR, Cash Advance fees, etc)

2) Partnerships with other companies

3) Budget for Marketing/Retention

The cashback bonus is a psychologic marketing strategy. "Free money" will always entice a person's interest, but it also indirectly encourages them to spend more money.

Message 11 of 30
andre181
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

why not redeem it as cashback (such as a check), and put it into a savings?

nevertheless it's always a good thing to set aside money for emergencies.

Its easier to spend if its in my savings account, at least for me. Keeping it in the cashback "accounts" makes me not want to spend it. Sort of like "out of sight, out of mind"

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 12 of 30
annebythesea
New Contributor

I plan on saving my cashback as well. Figured it's extra money that I am not reliying for my everyday expenses on so what not save it for a rainy day? Am deciding what savings account to put it in Barclay's versus Ally's, but I like the idea of free money getting interest (even if it is only .85%)

Starting Score: MyFico EQ 694 (3/2013)
Current Score: MyFico EQ 707 (4/1/2013), EX 734 (4/12/2013 - AMEX pull)
Goal Score: 740+, gardening since: 5/17/13

Message 13 of 30
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

I use my cash back as a statement credit as the money I saved through cash back when I PIF is extra money that goes into savings. I wait until I get $140 cash back and I use $120 as a statement credit. If I have budgeted $500 per month on a particular card, I pay $380 to PIF and put the $120 I saved due to statement credit in savings. I don't know how I used to survive without cash back rewards...LOL! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 14 of 30
HiLine
Blogger

Does anyone know if credit card issuers have the right to devalue unredeemed cash back? I know they do with reward "points", and I've noticed that cash back is often in the form of points until you reedem the points for actual statement credit. 

Message 15 of 30
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Most CC issuers have points that don't expire. Chase, Discover, Cap1 to name a few. Not sure about Barclays. But as long as they don't expire, they shouldn't be devalued. Now, this does happen if you fail to keep your account in good standing. I believe the cash back rewards is a psychological incentive for members to keep their accounts in good standing. I am sure card companies have data signatures showing the default rate dropping since rewards cards were introduced so having rewards on a particular card is an indirect way of managing risk. Who in their right mind would not pay at least the min every month when they have over $100 cash back sitting in their account? As they know failing to pay the min costs them $100 and if numerous defaults occur, they are probably no longer eligible to earn rewards points on future purchases. I think this philosophy works across most scores, which is why Cap1 is so successful in the subprime market. Even for folks with secured or unsecured with no rewards Cap1 cards see the incentive of applying/PCing to a rewards card if they maintain their accounts in good standing.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 16 of 30
HiLine
Blogger

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
But as long as they don't expire, they shouldn't be devalued.

Can you elaborate on this? There are plenty of point systems that don't let points expire but devalue them from time to time.

Message 17 of 30
froggyzsn

@enharu wrote:

why not redeem it as cashback (such as a check), and put it into a savings?

nevertheless it's always a good thing to set aside money for emergencies.

I really like that idea! Thats what i plan to do with my rewards that i earn from my Discover IT and Chase Freedom cards. Thanks! Smiley Happy

~Gardening until October, 2013 ~

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: 663
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 30
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You can do the same thing with a statement credit and it is faster than waiting on a check. You normally charge X amount per month so instead of paying X one month you use a statement credit, you pay X minus cash back redemption and then you put the cash back amount in savings.
Message 19 of 30
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

@HiLine: I haven't been using points long enough to have any of my points devalued. I have only been using rewards cards since July. I have not had my points devalued. I'm not sure if someone else may have and can comment? I thought if rewards points couldn't expire, they couldn't be devalued either. Are they devalued as a part of AA?
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.