Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It card denied, no offer of a secured version

tag
Ktwilson227
Established Member

Discover It card denied, no offer of a secured version

So I wanted to apply for the Discover It secured, lady on the phone said I needed to apply for the regular first, and if I was denied I would be offered a secured version. I was denied, yet wasn't offered a secured version. Is that normal? Or am I just terribly terribly far away from even getting a secured card? I am in the process of rebuilding and posted this same thread there. My current scores on myFICO are EX 591, EQ 584, and TU 590.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover It card denied, no offer of a secured version

Scores are probably wayyyy too low for even the secured.

Soory for the decline..

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 31
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

Scores are probably wayyyy too low for even the secured.

Soory for the decline..

+1.  I would definitely wait until your scores go up in the upper 600s before trying again for the card.  Sorry to hear about your decline.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 31
ginger1477
Regular Contributor

I apped a couple of months ago and was denied with no secured offer.  I'm about three years into rebuiding and my scores were around 660 to 670.  I did however include them in my bankruptcy, so maybe if you didn't you'll have a chance to be offered a card down the road.

Capital One Quicksilver: 14k * Alliant: 4k * BoA: 6k * Discover 5k * Best Buy Visa: 10k * Amex BCE: 7k, Amex Everyday: 1k * Target RedCard: 9k * Walmart: 10k * Citi 2k * Care Credit: 10k
Message 4 of 31
msbia
Established Contributor

Fwiw, when I app'd for the Discover It I was declined and offered the secured version. At the time I had a TU Fico of 640, which is what they pulled.

Bring your scores up a bit (over 600) and you should be ok to app again depending on your baddies.

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 5 of 31
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

What is the fascination with Discover? I have apped myself and been declined. I went to app again six months later and I thought Why? I have visa/mc and amex. Discover works at fewer places than amex. Why do I want one?
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 6 of 31
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I mean it. Why do I want one?!
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 31
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:
I mean it. Why do I want one?!

The rotating categories are pretty much and its nice to mix with Freedom for those useless categories and i believe that Discover is accepted more places than AmEx its the exact opposite ... But i think that also could vary depending on geographic location...Like my goal for it was completion i wanted a Discover,  Mastercard , Visa and an AmEx as my first goal basically to have 1 of each network by the lender itself... Now i'm just working on building toward my completion kit being my goal wallet after that i believe ill pretty much axe all my cards except for the choosen ones and the store ones ... I would love to be able to Axe Walmart because i originally applied wanting the store card but i was approved for the Discover i was wondering if its possible to downgrade because i dont use it anywhere but at Walmart.

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 8 of 31
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

My scores were 570, 572, and 585 on all three FICOs when I got approved for the secured card last month. But I also have 4 positive TLs for CC for the last 6 months, I don't know if that helped it?
Message 9 of 31
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

You know, I think you nailed it for me as well. I want one because it shows a bit of triumph in the building process. As far as the rotating categories....I might be apping again soon. Dang it, the garden might have to wait lol
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.