Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It card question

tag
AC0308
Established Member

Discover It card question

Hi All,

I just received my Discover It card in the mail and I'm crazy excited. I heard mention before about setting up an auto charge (monthly bill) to the card increases chances of auto CLIs...

Anyone have any experience with that?

Amex Blue Sky - $8,700
Discover IT - $4,500
Amex TrueEarnings - 3,500
Elan Financial - $2,000
CapitalOne - $1,250
Chase Slate - $1,200
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover It card question

I have not set up any auto purchase with my IT card and have gotten regular CLIs, they like usage and I use it for a few hundred bucks a month. I am sure it wont hurt your chances.

Message 2 of 12
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I have not set up any auto purchase with my IT card and have gotten regular CLIs, they like usage and I use it for a few hundred bucks a month. I am sure it wont hurt your chances.

YMMV for sure with Discover. I started with a $1,700 CL. I put through 2-3x that amount monthly, and PIF 2-3 times per month due to the low CL. At month 6, I asked for a CLI...they said not without a HP. Months 7,8 and 9...same thing, which brought me to the Holiday shopping season. One last try for a SP CLI...nothing. I SD'ed the thing for the entire season...I wasn't about to pay an account 4 or 5 times in a month to be able to use it. My one year anniversary with the IT card is on 02/07/2014. I'm going to try again...if they give me the same answer, the IT card will be seeing a $7 recurring charge, and that's it...and only because of the free FICO score, since if a statement doesn't generate you don't get one that month. Anyway, the best of luck to the OP, since Discover is good to some people...I hope you are one of the lucky ones!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 12
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

It for sure is YMMV for Discover. I have my card for 14 months with a starting limit of 2,5K (by far lowest starting limit - others were 5K). Spent 19K on the my Discover IT since opening with auto charges and manual spending but not good enough for Discover.  All of my other cards either got me high starting limits or have grown with me Smiley Happy ..not Discover Smiley Sad....good luck with your mission. Great card - love it but hate my limit. Some accounts are simply in no luck with Discover ??

Message 4 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

YMMV for sure with Discover. I started with a $1,700 CL. I put through 2-3x that amount monthly, and PIF 2-3 times per month due to the low CL. At month 6, I asked for a CLI...they said not without a HP. Months 7,8 and 9...same thing, which brought me to the Holiday shopping season. One last try for a SP CLI...nothing. I SD'ed the thing for the entire season...I wasn't about to pay an account 4 or 5 times in a month to be able to use it. My one year anniversary with the IT card is on 02/07/2014. I'm going to try again...if they give me the same answer, the IT card will be seeing a $7 recurring charge, and that's it...and only because of the free FICO score, since if a statement doesn't generate you don't get one that month. Anyway, the best of luck to the OP, since Discover is good to some people...I hope you are one of the lucky ones!

I am in the same boat!!!  NO autoLuv always wants to 

do a HP

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 12
newUser0
Established Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

It for sure is YMMV for Discover. I have my card for 14 months with a starting limit of 2,5K (by far lowest starting limit - others were 5K). Spent 19K on the my Discover IT since opening with auto charges and manual spending but not good enough for Discover.  All of my other cards either got me high starting limits or have grown with me Smiley Happy ..not Discover Smiley Sad....good luck with your mission. Great card - love it but hate my limit. Some accounts are simply in no luck with Discover ??

+1

No CLI..

Message 6 of 12
AC0308
Established Member

Sounds like things are all over the place.  I hope I'm one of the lucky ones too!

Amex Blue Sky - $8,700
Discover IT - $4,500
Amex TrueEarnings - 3,500
Elan Financial - $2,000
CapitalOne - $1,250
Chase Slate - $1,200
Message 7 of 12
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

I am also 9-10 months in with a few thousan run through per month and hasn't budged yet.  I would run more except I have a low CL and the multiple payments, waiting two days gets old after a while.  I have slowed down the use until gas season.  Good luck to you though

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 8 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I can honestly see a purpose (i guess) for meeting the demand for a HP first as a brand new customer of Discover. But for many of you with good history, scores, running consistent payments thru the DiscoverIT along with higher lines with other cards, i would expect it a small matter for them to just simply process CL increases via a SP only.
I suppose they have their so-called internal reasons for not bending on that policy (yet). I just don't know or understand the why for it.
Message 9 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

I am also 9-10 months in with a few thousan run through per month and hasn't budged yet.  I would run more except I have a low CL and the multiple payments, waiting two days gets old after a while.  I have slowed down the use until gas season.  Good luck to you though

Good luck i ran over 5000 through last month and still no luv Smiley Sad

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.