cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It or Discover It Student Card?

tag
peacocks27

Discover It or Discover It Student Card?

I'm trying to decide whether to apply for the traditional Discover It card, or the Student version. I don't know the probability of me getting approved over the other, but I've had credit history for about 5 years now, and in March I paid off all of my credit cards. Do you think it's long enough for them to report and me get approved, or should I wait longer? I was going to ask for a CLI with my Citi card, but I keep seeing all these approvals from the Discover It card that I don't know what to do.

So, help me please! Discover It traditional, Discover It for Students, or just ask for a CLI from my Citi card?

I just started going back to school in January, but like I said I've had credit for quite some time, and recently financed a car. I don't know if that will help/hurt, but someone help me please lol.

Gardening as of 2.8.13 hopefully for a year. If not, at least 6 months. I can do this, I know I can.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover It or Discover It Student Card?

@peacocks27 wrote:

I'm trying to decide whether to apply for the traditional Discover It card, or the Student version. I don't know the probability of me getting approved over the other, but I've had credit history for about 5 years now, and in March I paid off all of my credit cards. Do you think it's long enough for them to report and me get approved, or should I wait longer? I was going to ask for a CLI with my Citi card, but I keep seeing all these approvals from the Discover It card that I don't know what to do.

So, help me please! Discover It traditional, Discover It for Students, or just ask for a CLI from my Citi card?

I just started going back to school in January, but like I said I've had credit for quite some time, and recently financed a car. I don't know if that will help/hurt, but someone help me please lol.

Student and non-student cards have very similar underwriting requirements.

Student cards are just more forgiving for people with thin files, not bad files.

Seeing that you have credit history for 5 years, just go with the normal version.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.