Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It questions and possible data points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It questions and possible data points

I need some advise/guidance from all the experts and also would like to share my experience. 

I recently used Discovers "Find My Offer" and had a 'personlized' offer. And yes i know discovers preapproved link is garbage and weve all gotten the same offer when we changed our names and used 1234 as our SSN. But ive read multiple post about how if the APR is a single number or a small range, opposed to the full range, that youve got a pretty good shot at being approved. My personalized offer had an APR of 23.24% which I know is insane, but probably also justifiable based on my credit and amount of inquiries and what not. But my sole reason to accepting the offer was to take advantage of the 0% APR for 12 months on BT, which i will have paid off before the intro period is over. I know the Chase Slate is the best for BT since $0 transfer fee, but im way over 5/24. Anyway, So I went ahead with the application and was approved with a SL of $5,000. 

Now, a few days later, I received a pre-approved offer in the mail from Discover for the Discover It card. The same one I was just approved for with the same terms. I know it doesnt make sense to have 2 of the same exact cards but to me, I thought I could have 1 card with the BT and then use the other one to use and take advantage of the 5% revolving cash back. Before applying I contacted Discover and they said I could PC my Discover It into either a Discover It Chrome or a Discover More Card. To my understanding the the More card is no longer available. I spoke to a different person, and they said I could PC to Discover It Chrome or Discover It Miles card. So I will need to clear that up, but the idea is that I can PC into one of the cards and then accept the new mail offer for the Discover It card and use that as my BT. 

My question is, are you able to have 2 discover it cards? If i were to go ahead and accept this mail offer, will be denied? I know i can be deneid for various reasons but specficially for already having the same card? Also, I havent looked into the intro offers for the Discover It Chrome card but I am assuming it will have the 0% APR for BT. If not then I will keep the BT on the Discover It card and then use the chrome, althought the chrome doesnt have the 5% revolving. So it would be best if I could possible get 2 discover It cards. So if anyone could give me their input or share their experience with a similar situation, id greatly appreciate it!

My scores upon approval were: 751 TU (which is what they pulled), 710 EQ, 691 EX. I also have a lot of inquiries, 32, 38, 40 respectively. Out of those inquiries, 30-32 of them will be 1 year old in the next week or so. Im not sure if that matters any. AAoA 1.8 years. No lates, no collections, no baddies whatsoever (besides the amount of inquiries)

I want thank everyone in advance for this post and just thank everyone for being so active in this forum, you guys have helped me tremendously in my credit building jounrny!

Couple irrelevant things I want to add that ive noticed is that along with walmart mc, a few other synchrony bank cards are now offering free FICO scores such like the Amazon store card and Sams Club mc, Im not sure of any others. Also, synchrony bank tends to be more  giving with CLI if you call their backdoor number. Theyve increased my Sams Club to $20k which is by far my highest limit by $10k

6 REPLIES 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Discover It questions and possible data points

Generally, you need to have had a discover card for 1 year before getting another.   Some reps say this isn't the case, but....!   Based on two reps, I applied for a second card after about 6 months, got doubled pulled and then rejected with the reason that I hadn't had the first card long enough.    Still annoys me when I think about it.  (Which is only about 5 times a day now)

Message 2 of 7
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores upon approval were: 751 TU (which is what they pulled), 710 EQ, 691 EX. I also have a lot of inquiries, 32, 38, 40 respectively. Out of those inquiries, 30-32 of them will be 1 year old in the next week or so. Im not sure if that matters any. AAoA 1.8 years. No lates, no collections, no baddies whatsoever (besides the amount of inquiries)

Personally I would cool my jets with these kinds of numbers.

Second you need 1 year to add another card from what's been posted around here in the past.  Let things grow for a year and reevaluate where you want to be with everyone you currently have.  Your scores will show you some love for doing so.  

Message 3 of 7
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Generally, you need to have had a discover card for 1 year before getting another.   Some reps say this isn't the case, but....!   Based on two reps, I applied for a second card after about 6 months, got doubled pulled and then rejected with the reason that I hadn't had the first card long enough.    Still annoys me when I think about it.  (Which is only about 5 times a day now)

Hmm, I got very different info when I called and asked them the same question about 6 months ago. I've had my Discover It card for about five years (it started as a Discover More but has been an It almost since the It came out, definitely well over a year) and they just straight up told me I couldn't have a second one, nothing about age of the account at all. I had asked because I was thinking I might take advantage of the double cashback; although it was also just sort of a general curiosity and I may not have applied for a second card anyway, so I wasn't that disappointed. But yeah, I just got a flat, 'no second Discover It' as my answer.

Message 4 of 7
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Those inqs are bad.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Hmm, I got very different info when I called and asked them the same question about 6 months ago. I've had my Discover It card for about five years (it started as a Discover More but has been an It almost since the It came out, definitely well over a year) and they just straight up told me I couldn't have a second one, nothing about age of the account at all. I had asked because I was thinking I might take advantage of the double cashback; although it was also just sort of a general curiosity and I may not have applied for a second card anyway, so I wasn't that disappointed. But yeah, I just got a flat, 'no second Discover It' as my answer.

Try discover chat. I've asked 2 times and they've said you can but you have to have the card for 1 year. 

Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I wasn't asking about a second version of the SAME card, I had a Miles and was asking about getting an IT.   I can believe that they generally won't give you two of the same

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.