Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It

I was elated today to get a PREAPPROVED offer from Discover on their new Discover It card. I was just looking at this card the other day. I have more inquiries than I want so I didn't apply then. Didn't want to risk another inq and be denied.

Since I got the pre-approval, I decided to try it. Denied. FICO of 659. Ok. So I called the backdoor number to recon. No luck. Not really asking any questions, just sharing my experience with others. Bummer. 

I do have a charge off from 5 years ago which he says appears a negative twice on my credit report (one from the collection agency other from Capital One directly). 

Hopefully I get that paid off with my taxes. Its been held above my head so many times, even when buying my house.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover It

I have 2 charge off from 2007.

Score 676 Fico.

Maybe explain the situation from 5 years ago different from now since your life getting so much better.

Someone got approved after 2 3rd attempt but its YMMV.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 11
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I got approved on 12-24 with a 3k limit.  Tried to recon for more but since I have the MORE card already with 11.8k limit, they said I had plenty of other open credit lines, but wait 8 months and go for CLI.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 3 of 11
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Honda was that collection paid off? I use to work for Discover and I know from the past  that paid collections after three years are not a big deal.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 4 of 11
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

Honda was that collection paid off? I use to work for Discover and I know from the past  that paid collections after three years are not a big deal.

How was it working for Discover?

Message 5 of 11
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I was a yong man when I worked for them and at the time I thought that they where slave drivers now that I have plenty of work experience since than, they where pretty damn good to work for.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 6 of 11
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

I was a yong man when I worked for them and at the time I thought that they where slave drivers now that I have plenty of work experience since than, they where pretty damn good to work for.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Message 7 of 11
HiLine
Blogger

If you end up applying again, you should apply for the More instead for the $200 bonus. 

Message 8 of 11
chan85
Established Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

Really? I have a judgement that's paid off, shows under collections as paid too, is that the same? I was told the last time I tried to get a CLI that because it was on my file, they wouldn't give me anything more than my $500 credit line I already had for like 3 or 4 years. I said even with it showing paid and the woman said yes even with that. I said some of this stuff will stay for 5-7 years and she basically told me I would have to wait for that point before Discover would give me anything. I think it hits 3 years this month some time though.....

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 9 of 11
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I find the Discover reps have been very friendly on the phone.  I went from hating them (when they jumped up my APR around 20%) to liking them (phone reps worked with me to get the best card for my needs and then lowering my APR to keep me from canceling, etc).  The only annoying thing about Discover is that some places don't accept it, so I always have to carry a spare Visa with me, but I do like the company.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.