Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It

tag
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Discover It

Just got approved for the Discover It card with a 4k starting limit. First Discover card ever..

feels strange getting a discover card - I am so used to mastercard and visa... Only reason I apped is for the 0 percent Balance transfer... Not sure if I will keep it after the 14 months promo...

I will take advantage of the 0 percent balance transfer for 14 months.

Questions:

Is discover a network similar to master card in my cap one qs card or discover is a network and the bank 2 in one sorta deal ?

Does Discover automatically issue CLI from time to time without even requesting them?

If not If I request it is it a soft or hard inquiry? How often can the account be CLI ed?

Thanks guys. Correct my ignorance if i am wrong, but for some reason i think Pulling out a Discover card from my wallet at a restaurant or hotel to pay for it I think it will feel a little, how would I say it so the moderators dont trip, i think it would feel kind of unmanly. (i am a guy by the way)  Am I dumb for thinking this?

I am so used to my Capital One QS and it is my go to card that gets the job done card with no issues.

In YOUR OPINION, WHICH CARD IS BETTER OVERALL:

Cap One QS mastercard or the Discover it card

Message 1 of 62
61 REPLIES 61
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover It

I feel like an idiot for asking the following questions.... I have never had a discover card....

We all know cards that are either master card or visas with card numbers, expiration and 3 digit code, and name on card....

Are discover cards the same way? Number on front, expiration, and security number?

If lets say I want to put my cell phone bill on the discover card on auto pay, will I sound like a complete Jackassss and dumb when I ask

"hey do you guys take discover card? i want to change my auto pay card from mastercard to discover"?

for some reason I have the impression that discover cards are for hotels and traveling.

I have either not seen the discover card logo at stores or i have not paid attention.

Message 2 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

More stores take Discover than AMEX.  Neither are as popular as MC/V, though.

At this point, I think all of the Disc cards have just their logo on the front, and all customer info (name, acct #, security code, and sig panel) on the back.

Like MC/V, Disc has a 16-digit account number (AMEX is 15 digits).  Their number starts with a 6 (MC is 5, Visa is 4, and AMEX is 3).  They have a 3-digit security code, just like MC/V (AMEX has 4, for some reason)

If you go to your cell phone's website, they should tell you what cards they take (I dont know any retailer that major that doesn't take all four)

I think that answers all of your questions.  Keep in mind, there is no such thing as a stupid question (better to ask, than assume incorretly)

I think Disc is a better card than Cap 1, in most ways (I actually like both of them, so I am not just anti-Cap 1, thinking anything is better), and those are two good cards to start with.

Message 3 of 62
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Just got approved for the Discover It card with a 4k starting limit. First Discover card ever.. this is a good opening limit.

feels strange getting a discover card - I am so used to mastercard and visa... Only reason I apped is for the 0 percent Balance transfer... Not sure if I will keep it after the 14 months promo... Disco treats people better than most other companies.

Questions:

Is discover a network similar to master card in my cap one qs card or discover is a network and the bank 2 in one sorta deal ? I've had mine for almost 2 years now and I've not run into any place yet that it doesn't work at.  I've had 1 place that didn't take AMEX though.

Does Discover automatically issue CLI from time to time without even requesting them? in the first 90 days you should potentially see 1 AUTO CLI.  every other time for me at least has been self requested.  I have a couple of threads on my 1st year and another one with additional helpful tips 

If not If I request it is it a soft or hard inquiry? How often can the account be CLI ed?  SP unless you ask for a HP to go higher than they come back with... in my threads

Thanks guys. Correct my ignorance if i am wrong, but for some reason i think Pulling out a Discover card from my wallet at a restaurant or hotel to pay for it I think it will feel a little, how would I say it so the moderators dont trip, i think it would feel kind of unmanly. (i am a guy by the way)  Am I dumb for thinking this? why would pulling out a card feel weird?  I can see if you had a bright pink card or something with Daisies on it but, the matte finish on Disco shouldn't feel weird.  If you don't like the pattern you get in the mail you can change it to one of about 50 different logos.

I am so used to my Capital One QS and it is my go to card that gets the job done card with no issues. Disco will do the same

Cap One QS mastercard or the Discover it card Cap1 gets a little weird when it comes to some things like a CLI only every 6 months and if you don't spend enough they won't put it through.  Disco actually likes low spenders and will give you the world every other month once you get the ball rolling. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/My-first-year-with-Discover-Data-Points/m-p/47...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Discover-unOfficial-Data-Points/m-p/4802538

Take a read and if you have any other questions feel free to ask on the unofficial one... I think we managed to cover alot of the questions and scenarios you might come across.

Message 4 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

My friend actually just got Discover and she got a card with Daisies on it without requesting it Smiley Wink

I've run into a few places that didn't accept Discover usually in smaller cities they only take Visa or MasterCard, then there's Costco who will accept Discover online but not in store.

Personally I think the matte Black Discover is a more manly looking card than any of my others but to each their own.

Limit increases are usually a soft pull as others have said.
Message 5 of 62
Chris679
Established Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Just got approved for the Discover It card with a 4k starting limit. First Discover card ever..

feels strange getting a discover card - I am so used to mastercard and visa... Only reason I apped is for the 0 percent Balance transfer... Not sure if I will keep it after the 14 months promo...

Questions:

Is discover a network similar to master card in my cap one qs card or discover is a network and the bank 2 in one sorta deal ?

Does Discover automatically issue CLI from time to time without even requesting them?

If not If I request it is it a soft or hard inquiry? How often can the account be CLI ed?

Thanks guys. Correct my ignorance if i am wrong, but for some reason i think Pulling out a Discover card from my wallet at a restaurant or hotel to pay for it I think it will feel a little, how would I say it so the moderators dont trip, i think it would feel kind of unmanly. (i am a guy by the way)  Am I dumb for thinking this?

I am so used to my Capital One QS and it is my go to card that gets the job done card with no issues.

Cap One QS mastercard or the Discover it card

Online you will have no issues at all with Discover being accepted.  Overall it will be rare to find a place that does not accept it.  My take on Discover is that everything is great about it except the actual rewards.  Love the free FICO, love the SP CLI that have been very generous.  They have lowered my APR numerous times.  The CSRs are top notch, etc.  It's like a restaurant with great service, low prices, real fancy looking but the food sucks.  I'm sure lots of people will disagree but personally I just hate the rotating category cards.  Don't want to keep track of them, don't use em.  QS you know what you are getting every time.  Like Taco Johns, its not the greatest in world, yeah you can do better but it won't let you down. 

Message 6 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My friend actually just got Discover and she got a card with Daisies on it without requesting it Smiley Wink

I've run into a few places that didn't accept Discover usually in smaller cities they only take Visa or MasterCard, then there's Costco who will accept Discover online but not in store.

Personally I think the matte Black Discover is a more manly looking card than any of my others but to each their own.

Limit increases are usually a soft pull as others have said.

Well, if you are a hockey fan, they have cards for every NHL team. I had absolutely no problem (and no cost, either) getting my team's card.

Message 7 of 62
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Discover rocks, great card to pull out in front of the ladiesSmiley Wink , just tell them anyone can get a visa or mc , but to have a Discover, means youve made it past the Chimps and are in Prime Ape territorySmiley Wink
Message 8 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is nothing whimpy or cheesy about using the Discover card. (That's the words you were looking for, right? Smiley Wink ) I have an awesome purple one, and my hubby chose the bronze for his AU card on the same account. I think it is very cool looking with the clean front and all the info on the back.

The only place state side that I have found that didn't take Disc was BWW.

I love the rotating category cards personally. I use Disc all the time right now since I am in my first year 2x bonus period. When that ends, I will use Disc for categories, BCE for gas/groceries and QS or FU  for everything else.

Message 9 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because of the 5% cat I rack up.  And the first year double down.  I plan big projects around the 5%.  I have already have my 2nd quarter project scoped out.   They gave me  my best limit.  I have a Citi Dc I use alot also

Message 10 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.