Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It

Hey, elcocaino2010! First of all, congratulations on joining the Disco family! Smiley Happy

I love the Discover card because of the 5% categories. There are more than just the rotating 5% categories too, just check out Discover Deals through you online account. ACE Hardware comes to mind because I was shopping for a Yeti cooler with some retro pay I received, and found it at ACE Hardware, purchased through Discover Deals and got $20 cashback, which will double when I get my match after 12 months. Just an example. There are even stores that have 10% cashback. I love my Quicksilver too, but the Discover is one of my two fave cards, along with my jetBlue Plus.

As for not being manly, I'm assuming you didn't get the pink monogram or red daisy design. Smiley Very Happy There are plenty of manly looking Discover designs. My husband got the American flag one, and it's really nice, but the solid brown or spruce look nice too. Plus, if you get one you don't like, they will send you another for free. I have three active designs right now, the garnet, ocean blue, and red gerbera daisy.

Message 11 of 62
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Is it automatic to get the 5 percent or yoi have to "sign up" for it?

If someone forgets to sign up for the 5 perxent category r they SOL?

Message 12 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do have to activate the categories, but they are available about a month ahead of the start of the quarter, and they are right on the front page when you log in so it is easy to remember.

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Message 13 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

You do have to activate the quarterly categories and, if you miss the beginning, I believe you can activate and use them from that point on.

Discover Deals are standing deals. If something is listed on Discover Deals, it is available. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Discover card 2 years ago and it had about a $8K limit. Now it's $22k and they are always very easy to deal with. I just posted about their offer for 0% APR on balance transfers. The promo offer I received was with a 3% transfer fee. They actually offered it to me for 2% after I said I really wanted to use them for the BT, however I had an offer from another company (Comenity) for 1%. When she said 2%, I jumped right on it. My Discover card is the Pittsburgh Penguins logo card and I get a lot of nice comments on it at the stores. The CLI are soft pulls approximately every 60 days. No, they're not as widely accepted as Visa/MC but still more places accept it than AMEX.

Message 15 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new Discover card! I personally LOVE the card, much much more than Cap1. I have never had an issue with it not being accepted besides at Costco. You can also change your card design at any time. I get really bored with card designs and have probably had 5 so far? I have a soft pink now...super manly lol. Discover are SP's for the most part, although they will tell you if they're going to HP. My card started at $8k a year ago in December and is now at $26,000. It grows like a weed! Make sure to sign up for the 5% each quater and take a look through their deals, and most of all enjoy your card!

Message 16 of 62
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Just got approved for the Discover It card with a 4k starting limit. First Discover card ever..

feels strange getting a discover card - I am so used to mastercard and visa... Only reason I apped is for the 0 percent Balance transfer... Not sure if I will keep it after the 14 months promo...

I will take advantage of the 0 percent balance transfer for 14 months.

Questions:

Is discover a network similar to master card in my cap one qs card or discover is a network and the bank 2 in one sorta deal ?

Does Discover automatically issue CLI from time to time without even requesting them?

If not If I request it is it a soft or hard inquiry? How often can the account be CLI ed?

Thanks guys. Correct my ignorance if i am wrong, but for some reason i think Pulling out a Discover card from my wallet at a restaurant or hotel to pay for it I think it will feel a little, how would I say it so the moderators dont trip, i think it would feel kind of unmanly. (i am a guy by the way)  Am I dumb for thinking this?

I am so used to my Capital One QS and it is my go to card that gets the job done card with no issues.

In YOUR OPINION, WHICH CARD IS BETTER OVERALL:

Cap One QS mastercard or the Discover it card

1. IMHO the Cap One QS mastercard is much better, and I agree that QS is a good card to use as your 'go to' card that gets the job done with no issues.

2. Some businesses don't even accept Discover.

3. Wait 91 days to ask for CLI. Then try 61 day intervals after that. They give frequent CLI's but are very unpredictable as to amount. All CLI requests are soft pull.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 17 of 62
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

I feel like an idiot for asking the following questions.... I have never had a discover card....

We all know cards that are either master card or visas with card numbers, expiration and 3 digit code, and name on card....

Are discover cards the same way? Number on front, expiration, and security number?

If lets say I want to put my cell phone bill on the discover card on auto pay, will I sound like a complete Jackassss and dumb when I ask

"hey do you guys take discover card? i want to change my auto pay card from mastercard to discover"?

for some reason I have the impression that discover cards are for hotels and traveling.

I have either not seen the discover card logo at stores or i have not paid attention.

No they're just like any other credit card, except that some companies don't accept them.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 18 of 62
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I got the spruce green but was thinking of updating to the mixtape or the new goldSmiley Happy. I even like the beach scene, very...ScenicSmiley Happy)
Message 19 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

The gold is really cool, but if the black one comes out I might be tempted. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.