Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I carry 4 cards. My Discover, my MC, my Visa and my man card. They are all made of cold rolled blue steel and covered in razor blades, and poisoned spikes. That's how I roll, manly! Grrr...Smiley Mad

In all seriousness, Disco is great. Only found one place that doesn't take it, Jack in the Box. 

I punched my card 'til it grew chest hair, and now it teaches CrossFit! And Krav Maga! All the ladies faint when I pull out my macho Disco card, and all the men stand back in fear and awe! lol

Other than Costco, the very few places I know of that don't take Discover (and AmEx) in the US aren't...very upscale establishments so I kind of feel less, "Oh, you don't take Discover? I'm sorry Smiley Embarassed," and more, "Oh, you don't take Discover? Huh.Smiley Indifferent"  Either that or mom-and-pop type places that barely want to take any kind of credit card anyway.  

I only use my QS Visa Sig (I slightly prefer Discover over at this time, since you were wondering a couple posts back, OP) for utilities and emergency this-place-doesn't-take-Discover-**bleep** purchases. MasterCard's for Netflix (It's a Barclaycard Cashforward. I don't trust them with big purchases lol) AmEx BCP is for groceries and gas.

I've been seriously considering getting a Chase AARP card for the 3% dining, but, like OP with Disco, I kind of have a complex about whipping an AARP card out to a server. Like, they might think I stole my grandpa's card or something? And I don't feel right punching an AARP card so that won't work. 

Cap 1 QS: better app. instantaneous push notifications when you make purchases-- great for security. only downside is you have to download a separate app to pay your bill if you want to do it on your phone? slightly prefer their website over Discover's because it's more streamlined. takes slightly longer for electronic payments to post vs Discover, but not as bad as Barclay. Chat support is actually helpful. (Chose chat support so I can print what support told me vs "well, he said...")  Haven't tried Discover's chat support yet. less generous (at least frequency-wise) with CLIs.

Discover: you can freeze your credit card vs completely cancel it and have to get a new one mailed in in case you *suspect* you've lost your card but maybe not. electronic payments post slightly faster. great phone customer service, although I've only have to deal with them for verification after I was approved. somehow, the person on the phone didn't seem like she hated her job/life? 1.5% vs rotating 5% + cashback match is comparing apples to oranges, but I like the extra savings from Discover Deals. more generous (at least frequency-wise) with CLIs.

Message 41 of 62
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MyLoFICO wrote:

I carry 4 cards. My Discover, my MC, my Visa and my man card. They are all made of cold rolled blue steel and covered in razor blades, and poisoned spikes. That's how I roll, manly! Grrr...Smiley Mad

In all seriousness, Disco is great. Only found one place that doesn't take it, Jack in the Box. 

I punched my card 'til it grew chest hair, and now it teaches CrossFit! And Krav Maga! All the ladies faint when I pull out my macho Disco card, and all the men stand back in fear and awe! lol

Hahaha!! I got a visual of that like a Spongebob Squarepants episode. It was quite hilarious to see. lol

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 42 of 62
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Discover supposedly still has a 40k + tier.. but its basically a feature bolt-on (think AF card type perks) to the regular disco card... friend of mine actually has some features that have been added to his More card over the years.... but nowhere near the spend/limit requirement of that 40k tier... 

Message 43 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

Discover supposedly still has a 40k + tier.. but its basically a feature bolt-on (think AF card type perks) to the regular disco card... friend of mine actually has some features that have been added to his More card over the years.... but nowhere near the spend/limit requirement of that 40k tier... 

I'm fairly certain the 40k is premier plus. There's a premier level somewhere in the middle, I'm not sure exactly where though.

Message 44 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Is it automatic to get the 5 percent or yoi have to "sign up" for it?

If someone forgets to sign up for the 5 perxent category r they SOL?

You do have to activate the quarterly categories and, if you miss the beginning, I believe you can activate and use them from that point on.

Discover Deals are standing deals. If something is listed on Discover Deals, it is available. Smiley Happy

I could be wrong, but I think you even get the bonus CB retroactively on previous purchases even if you activate after the quarter starts (up to a certain date).

Either way, it seems odd to me that people find it to be a hassle dealing with rotating category cards. I could understand, maybe, for those that just don't ever deal with their CC's online, but I'd think most do (dealing with CC's "offline" and writing checks, now "that" seems like a hassle). It's very easy to click a button for someone that's going to be on the online portal anyway. Even if it's just once every month or two, you're going easily hit the really large window to activate.

LOL My s/o still writes checks to pay his CCs. What annoys me is that he still chooses to get paper statements! He PREFERS it! It's just additional clutter that unecessarily kills trees! He also hand writes thank you cards to people. So I guess that's one good thing about him acting like he's from a completely different era. lol

My mom used to justify writing checks "to give the postal people jobs" (because of the layoffs a while back, I think?). But lately, she's made a couple online payments when she thinks the check might not make it on time-- which is a ridiculous hassle otherwise tech-able people who write checks needlessly put themselves through. 

Don't even get me started on people my age who still CHOOSE and PREFER to get a paper paycheck vs direct deposit. What the heck. Some even DO have direct deposit but still want to get a paper paystub instead of enrolling in paperless. What.

Hey, you young whippersnappers!!  Stay out of my yard!!!

Smiley Wink

Message 45 of 62
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Is cashback bonus a fancy term for rewards or cashback ? The word bonus throws me off.

Is there a regular cashback and then there is a cashback bonus?

I like capital qs better. Cap one app is better and simple. After promo is up i think im gonna dump discover. Not excited about it... Seems like discover likes to complicate things.

Message 46 of 62
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Is cashback bonus a fancy term for rewards or cashback ? The word bonus throws me off.

Is there a regular cashback and then there is a cashback bonus?

I like capital qs better. Cap one app is better and simple. After promo is up i think im gonna dump discover. Not excited about it... Seems like discover likes to complicate things.

During the first 12 months you acrue rewards from 1%-5% or more if you're using Disco Deals.

After your 12 months is up you get a doubling of the earned amount added to your total.

E.G you spend enough to acrue $100 in rewards.... after 12 months they will make a deposit to your rewards account for another $100... so, if you haven't redeemed any of it during the 12 months your total would be $200

Discover is a long game card when it comes to making it work in your wallet.  Depending on your goals though is what determines if you should keep it or not.  It's relatively easy to manage since it's a straight cashback card whether you have IT/Chrome/Miles.... it all comes down to the pennies you earn with each swipe.  You can chase the cash for the first year and then cash it in, you can use it moderately and grow the CL exponentially, or you can churn it like you're talking about.  

Message 47 of 62
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

It is official !!

My 2 week old Discover IT card is on the Chopping block. Huge junk card compared to my Capital One QS card. As soon as i pay the balance transfer and get rewards if those 2 items even go through i will call them and cancel and tell them that discover is a junk company to do business with. 

Discover cons:

Android app layout is junk.

Slow balance transfer processing if it even goes through.

Cannot make lots of payments using the app or the website - ran out of dates to make payments. Holy molley. Gotta manually send them checks now. What a waste of technology.

Slow to process everything - payments - transactions - rewards.

With Capital One everythings works the first time period.

Thanks for reading my vents.

Message 48 of 62
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry to hear your displeasure. Junk company is a bit harsh seeing as they do grow very well for alot of people and cs seems to be good. I understand everyones experience is different but putting a TWO week old account on cb seems a tad rash imho. I do know that some companies in the begining, posting payments and such take some time as they want to make sure payments are good. Ive experienced this with Penfed and Disco but now that ive established at least 3 month histories , it seems they are more faster to post and smoother.

Im always of mind so long as you make your payment and keep those funds available til they are taken, you should be good. Anyway, hope you give Disco more chances but if not enjoy your Cap OneSmiley Happy
Message 49 of 62
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

elcocaino2010,

This whole post started out negative and now you're bashing one of the best companies out there because you're obsessiing over all of the wrong things.  If you're insecure enough to question using the plastic it's printed on then maybe they're not for you!!!!!!  Some of your reasons for wanting to ditch your new GF are certifiable.  If you're getting new cards for the APP experience you have some issues that need to be addressed because the APP that it can be accessed from your phone is not the reason to get a card.  BT's from all companies vary in time to complete especially when it's a new account.  Why do you need to make multiple payments each month?  Did your CL come in so low you can't properly figure out how to use it?  If you do end up cancelling it will save all of us here the hassle of reading your negative BS.

Go ahead and unsubscribe from Disco and save us the DRAMA of your insecurities and whining 

Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.