Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Joint Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Joint Account

Hi all-

i got my Discover card in October 2013, and it was my first credit card. I had to make it a joint account with my dad because I signed up before I had a job. Normally, I would have no issue with this, but the situation is pretty bad with CLIs. The concensus seems to be that they will not do CLIs on joint accounts with a SP- only a double HP. That was the case when they raised my CL from $500 to $1250 last year. The concensus also seems to be that you can't drop a cosigner from an account without closing it completely, and that's the answer I got from two different Discover reps.

Now, $1250 is completely usable, at least for the time being. However, my credit situation is much better than it was even when I got my CLI from Discover; I know I can get something better. If I'm going to have to waste a HP, I might as well open a new account, but my AAoA would take a huge hit from that.

Does anybody have experience with this sort of situation with Discover? Is there any way at all for anybody there to remove a cosigner from my account, or maybe backdate a new account on my CR? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Joint Account

Is this your only card? If so then opening another card will hurt your AAoA but in the long run help it. As far as I know, I don't think a co signor can be dropped. I would suggest just opening another card if your credit file is good. As mentioned another card can help your AAoA. For example my AAoA will not go below 2 years because my file is so thick mainly due to student loans (like 20+ little loans).
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No- I have a few others, the oldest of which is 6 months old.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a joint Discover It account and every CSR I've ever asked has said there is no way to remove the other joint account holder, even if he wants to be removed. The only solution would be to close the account and apply again (and hopefully be approved for an individual one.)

That said, SP CLIs for joint accounts are possible (albeit rare). A Discover CSR raised my (our) credit limit with a SP over the phone with both of us on the line. It was an unexciting CLI though, $1000 to $1500.

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it's great that discover offers the joint account and if the account is already open, you can add someone without a hp but then it stops there... I think they suck... we have NEVER gotten a sp cli even though lately pepple have been getting sp cli every 16 days!

they always want to talk to both people, even to check for sp cli!

i feel like it's just stuck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.