cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Miles blue card in mail. Opinions?

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Miles blue card in mail. Opinions?

Congrats on making that final app for awhile and getting approved!!!

$3K is actually a good start with them.  They started me at $4500 when my highest CL was 29K. They start low and grow with time.  Just check the Discover thread in my signature for more info.

Message 11 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

Congrats on making that final app for awhile and getting approved!!!

$3K is actually a good start with them.  They started me at $4500 when my highest CL was 29K. They start low and grow with time.  Just check the Discover thread in my signature for more info.

Not to knock what has been my most used card for the last 20 months, but again the Miles is only good for the first year.   So the idea is to put as much as possible through it in that time, so from that viewpoint, it's not a card that you particularly want to give time to grow.    

Message 12 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

It really depends on the objective though if you're diversifying your portfolio or chasing rewards.  Just because the 3% is for the first year doesn't mean you need to abuse it if it fits into the bigger scheme of things like growing your TCL for utilization purposes or just starting out on building things up.  Yes, for some the abuse for some rewards is the only purpose.  There's always the option to PC it to an IT after the first 12 months if the catagory spend fits better than the 1.5% spend accumulation.

Message 13 of 15
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I have the Miles card and I usually put casual non category spending on it. You get a year with it so no rush to put a lot of spend on it. I'll put my cell phone bills, online game credits and some MileagePlus X spend on it. I used some of the wifi credit and the wifi has worked on my flights so no complaints there. Main reason for me getting it was I wanted a card with another issuer to "diversify" should Amex or Chase randomly close my account. And I was getting mailer offers every week so.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 14 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SkyCommander wrote:

I have the Miles card and I usually put casual non category spending on it. You get a year with it so no rush to put a lot of spend on it. .

Or, as I view it, "You only get a year so rush to put as much spend as possible!"

For most casual spend, it's probably not going to be a big difference between getting 2% and 3%, hence my earler advice that if rewards are your focus, you will do better with a card with a big sign up bonus

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.