Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Miles card arrived

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Miles card arrived

Discover is strange in that they were paying me 5% Cashback unlimited last quarter. So while everyone was capped at 1500 I was spending 10k+.

Have not past 1500 this quarter yet but will soon.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 51 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Girac wrote:

Excuse the ignorance, what are/is Discover Deals?

Discover Deals is Discover's online shopping portal.  They offer discounts and bonus cash back for going through their links, like 5% cash back at Walmart and a 20% instant discount at PapaJohns and 15% cash back at PetSmart, that sort of thing.  Some deals rotate in and out and other deals are ongoing.  If you do any shopping online and have a Discover it's worth checking because sometimes you can stack Discover Deals with their regular 5% rotating categories for extra cash back, too.

It's similar to ebates, I guess.

Yes, made out like a fat rat on Discover Deals Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 85
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

Can you call to see if they can send you a chip card?

Got a response to my message.  In part:

Discover does offer chip cards; however, due to the market not adopting chip card technology as quickly as anticipated, we advise that you continue using your current cards. When a chip card is requested it replaces all magnetic-strip only cards for the cardholder requesting the chip card. We deactivate the magnetic-strip only card that belongs to the person whose chip card has been activated; however, all other magnetic strip only cards remain activated. If you'd still like a chip card, please let me know and I will be happy to request one be sent to you. 

I requested one, lets see what happens.

Message 53 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats awesome. could you upload a pic of the front of the card Smiley Very Happy

Message 54 of 85
nyancat
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

Discover does offer chip cards; however, due to the market not adopting chip card technology as quickly as anticipated, we advise that you continue using your current cards. When a chip card is requested it replaces all magnetic-strip only cards for the cardholder requesting the chip card. We deactivate the magnetic-strip only card that belongs to the person whose chip card has been activated; however, all other magnetic strip only cards remain activated. If you'd still like a chip card, please let me know and I will be happy to request one be sent to you. 

Can you tell me (it should now show your chip card options) if the pink IT Miles is available as a chip card?

And I think the warning has to do with merchants that are slowly getting chip-enabled but having issues with Discover, likewise overseas.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 55 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

At the end of the day the EMV Chip Card has worked fine for me. All that lingo means is the cards (in my case with sequence numbers 001 through 007 that were non-chipped would no longer work and would be blocked).

Message 56 of 85
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Spider15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

At the end of the day the EMV Chip Card has worked fine for me. All that lingo means is the cards (in my case with sequence numbers 001 through 007 that were non-chipped would no longer work and would be blocked).

Respectfully, not everyone has had the same experience as you. In my case, two of my three chip Discover cards have major issues at chip merchants (e.g. don't work). There's clearly something wrong, either in D-PAS (the Discover/Diner's Club AID) or in the implementation on some of the cards that have been sent out. Since news like that wouldn't go over well, they're understandably using other wording. I think, even if all the cards being sent out today work (they probably do, they got rid of all the designs reported to not be working...), that they're also warning based on the number of chip-enabled merchants that don't have D-PAS.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 57 of 85
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Discover CS is really awesome!    After offering me a chip card,  I did request one and received a new message:

After review of your account I do show that you have our new Discover It Miles card which is awesome! Currently are new Discover It miles cards do not have the chip in them. I do apologize for the misinformation and we are currently working on getting the chip cards in them and hope for them to be available as soon as we can!

Seems like they really haven't trained on the new card, which, given how narrow the product line is, seems pretty surprising

Message 58 of 85
nyancat
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Discover CS is really awesome!    After offering me a chip card,  I did request one and received a new message:

After review of your account I do show that you have our new Discover It Miles card which is awesome! Currently are new Discover It miles cards do not have the chip in them. I do apologize for the misinformation and we are currently working on getting the chip cards in them and hope for them to be available as soon as we can!

Seems like they really haven't trained on the new card, which, given how narrow the product line is, seems pretty surprising

This makes sense, there is clearly something very, very wrong with Discover's chip cards for newer designs (the cards being made by G&D), so I'm guessing that is why the Discover IT Miles doesn't have them.

Message 59 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nyancat wrote:

@Spider15 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

Respectfully, not everyone has had the same experience as you. In my case, two of my three chip Discover cards have major issues at chip merchants (e.g. don't work). There's clearly something wrong, either in D-PAS (the Discover/Diner's Club AID) or in the implementation on some of the cards that have been sent out. Since news like that wouldn't go over well, they're understandably using other wording. I think, even if all the cards being sent out today work (they probably do, they got rid of all the designs reported to not be working...), that they're also warning based on the number of chip-enabled merchants that don't have D-PAS.

Excuse me, I forgot that there are two types of card product types with Discover. My focus was on explaining what Discover meant by their wording related to blocking non EMV Chipped Cards after you received an EMV Chipped Card. My experience was related to them blocking the sequence numbers that were non EMV Chipped cards. Apparently, that was only clear to me.

My sincerest appologies for my lack of clearity and incomplete thoughts as it relates to my experience. I was so excited to have had an eye on what Discover was doing with sequence numbers that I forgot about the rest of the world. My deepest apologies!

Truth, if it had not been for the discussion on G&D cards vs CPI-co cards manufacturers I would not have known. Now, as to your tone and I have noticed it before ... why do you crawl down my throat on your response? You have much excellent knowledge. Allow for people being human. It did not occur to me that I was leaving out the important part about the different cards and I made a sweeping generalization as it relates to me!.

Excuse me?

Message 60 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.