Does anyone have it?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Discover Miles or Escape?

Why do you ask? It looks like you already have the Miles. Cat Indifferent

Message 2 of 7
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

The It Card seems to be the new trend here. Smiley Tongue

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 3 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:

The It Card seems to be the new trend here. Smiley Tongue

I don't get it. The older cards give you bonuses, and can be easily converted to the It anyway. Why don't people go that route?

Message 4 of 7
solxp
Contributor

I recently PC from Escape to IT. Escape is a pretty good rewards card if you travel alot and you use the card extensively its well worth the 60.00 annual fee imo. I do not expect to travel much in the next two years so switching to the IT made sense for me. The no annual fee and bonus categories in addition to shop discover(both have this) is just a better deal for me currently.  Redeeming for anything other then travel credit when you have the escape is flushing money down the drain. 10,000 miles = 100 statement credit when redeemed for travel credits. 10,000 miles = 50.00 cash when redeemed for statement cash or deposit to your bank account if you dont have enough travel expenditures in the last 90 days. 

Message 5 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

@solxp wrote:

I recently PC from Escape to IT. Escape is a pretty good rewards card if you travel alot and you use the card extensively its well worth the 60.00 annual fee imo. I do not expect to travel much in the next two years so switching to the IT made sense for me. The no annual fee and bonus categories in addition to shop discover(both have this) is just a better deal for me currently.  Redeeming for anything other then travel credit when you have the escape is flushing money down the drain. 10,000 miles = 100 statement credit when redeemed for travel credits. 10,000 miles = 50.00 cash when redeemed for statement cash or deposit to your bank account if you dont have enough travel expenditures in the last 90 days. 

Do you remember how Discover defines travel expenses? Bank of America regards even theme park visits as travel purchases. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
solxp
Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@solxp wrote:

I recently PC from Escape to IT. Escape is a pretty good rewards card if you travel a lot and you use the card extensively its well worth the 60.00 annual fee IMO. I do not expect to travel much in the next two years so switching to the IT made sense for me. The no annual fee and bonus categories in addition to shop discover(both have this) is just a better deal for me currently.  Redeeming for anything other then travel credit when you have the escape is flushing money down the drain. 10,000 miles = 100 statement credit when redeemed for travel credits. 10,000 miles = 50.00 cash when redeemed for statement cash or deposit to your bank account if you don't have enough travel expenditures in the last 90 days. 

Do you remember how Discover defines travel expenses? Bank of America regards even theme park visits as travel purchases. Smiley Happy

Choose any travel—any airline, cruise, vacation package, hotel, or car rental
• Book it through any airline, travel agent, or online travel site 
• Pay with your Escape or Miles by Discover Card
• Redeem your Miles for a  credit for your travel purchase

above from the website on my redemption page. My PC to IT does not go into affect until Apr 6th  I called them on the 7th this month  the first day of my new billing cycle (statement cuts on 6th) to PC to IT and while it was fast and painless turns out the PC goes into effect the first day of the next billing cycle. turned out that saved me 400.00 dollars.

Theme parks fall under vacation packages. I have even been able to call them and get them to include gas purchases. I had to call customer service and get them to enter the credit would not let me do it online.  Regardless with Escape you get 2 miles for every dollar spent so miles are easy to get and  with special offers and using shop discover I have been able to get up to 10-15 miles per dollar on purchases before(this is very very rare). 

I will not be going away as much this year as in the past so getting enough travel classified items to claim a statement credit would mad my miles pretty much worth half their value.. Luckily I had enough travel expenses over the holidays to let me redeem my 87k miles for 800.00 statement credit before I lost them when the PC to IT goes into effect on the 7th at which point they would have lost half there value when transferred to the IT's rewards program. 

Quick note i think the only diffrence between Miles and Escape is the annual fee and no lmit on double miles for the Escape.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.