Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Money Messenger will be discontinued on October 10, 2013

tag
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Discover Money Messenger will be discontinued on October 10, 2013

Please note: As of October 10, 2013, Money Messenger will be discontinued.

Why has Money Messenger been discontinued?

The decision to discontinue Money Messenger was not easy, but doing so will allow us to better focus on delivering products and services that provide value and convenience to more Discover cardmembers.

Will Money Messenger be coming back?

Currently we do not have plans to reinstate Money Messenger. Please contact your bank or pursue other person-to-person payment options.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/send-money/

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Money Messenger will be discontinued on October 10, 2013

@kevinjjc wrote:

Please note: As of October 10, 2013, Money Messenger will be discontinued.

Why has Money Messenger been discontinued?

The decision to discontinue Money Messenger was not easy, but doing so will allow us to better focus on delivering products and services that provide value and convenience to more Discover cardmembers.

Will Money Messenger be coming back?

Currently we do not have plans to reinstate Money Messenger. Please contact your bank or pursue other person-to-person payment options.

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/send-money/

From the get-go, it appears this program wasn't as successful and created more headaches for Discover than it wanted to.  So, I'm not surprised it will be shelved.

Message 2 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

it's a nice feature for the convenience of customers, if implemented correctly.

However, there's just too many issues with regards to fraud and all kinds of misc. problems. Choosing PayPal as a partner is both a good and bad decision.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I never used money messenger so it's not a service I would miss. I can not stand paypal the reason I never used it. Lol.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 10
linux007969
Established Contributor

I have had nothing but problems with it recently and called in several times into customer service and fraud team, even spoke directly with the web team to try and get an answer, also had a bad expirence with the level of customers service i was getting from them durring the one time when i was having problems so i hicked it up to the executive office to voice my feedback and recieved a call and we talked about it for a bit.... I wonder if I helped made their decision easier to make? LOL It's for the best cuz if it didn't work right for me then no one should have had access to it, as it was a broken system. It was very nice the first few times when i was using it without any problems.

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 5 of 10
itscurt
New Visitor

That's not nice, I used it often to send PayPal payments as I don't have a PayPal account and it worked 100%. I guess you only run into problems when you need to make disputes or chargebacks, but you shouldn't have it shut down just cause you had a bad experience with it.

I for one am going to fret this feature being gone.

Message 6 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I like the cashover feature better.
Money messenger only tempted me to send money to myself@0% which is against the T&C. I can see how this would affect their biz model as their other creditworthy customers may have been tempted to do this as well.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 10
vagrants
Regular Contributor

Been using this for several years. It helped meeting $3k min req to get to 1% on the More for free. I didn't have many problems. There were a couple of fraud alert over the years, but just calling in fixed the problem.

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 8 of 10
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Never mind it not working, I was never eligible in the first place, and I don't even know why i wasn't eligible in the first place. I sort of felt left out, and with no explanation...

I envy those of you that could use it to begin with.
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 9 of 10
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Has ANYONE ever found out why some were not eligible while others were? Did it have anything to do with income, and credit profile at the time of account approval?

I realize it dosent matter now, but I feel sort of left out here and worst of all without reason.
earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.