Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More Approval

tag
DailyDriver
Valued Member

Discover More Approval

Instantly approve with a 5,500 Credit Line.  

A little surpising since  I am around 89% utilization on two Citi Cards (Trying to pay off aggressively).  I had applied for a Chase Slate card a couple of weeks ago before finding this site, but was denied (too musch debt too quickly, high utilization, and not a  long enough credit history) and did not bother with recon.

I had been receiving mailers from Discover around twice a month, so I decided to go for it (since even with the 3% fee, the 18 months would be good to have).  Although I will miss out on the $75 Amazon Gift card with first purchase (don't want it to mess up with the APR offer).

My path started with a Citi MTVu student card when I was in college (no credit history, other than a bank account, and was approved for around 2,000).  I PIF and never missed a payment (credit line increased to 4,500 and transitioned to regular Forward card).  Around two years later I applied for a Citi Dividend Worl Mastercard (at the time it had 5% cashback for gas, groceries, and drugstores).  I was approved for 6,000 credit limit and had most of my shopping covered (MTVu for Amazon and the Mastercard for daily needs).

I missed one payment by a few days with the World Mastercard (not reported as late, but APR went up to 26%).  After graduating I was out of work for a while, which is why my utilization is so high, but now I am in a position where I should be able to pay off one in 2-3 months, and then the others within the year.

A little surpised my CL was so high from reading these forums, checking Credit Karma my score is 662 (will likely improve once the Discover is reported).  My only other credit history are my student loans.  5 reported under AES (although I only have to make one payment), and 1 through ACS.  Never late. 

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More Approval

Really nice starting CL I've heard on here Discover is really conservative with starting limits for sure.  Discover's got awesome CS and the card is okay.  Got mine then got the Freedom and mainly use Freedom cause of 1% on all other purchases.  Enjoy the card, GL.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 15
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats and awesome cl

Message 3 of 15
firesoul453
Contributor

Dang thats awsome! I wonder how much they'll give you if (when) you ask for your CLI in 6 months!

Discover gave me a kinda low limit.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 4 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Nice limit man.....I wanna put that trigger so bad 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 15
DailyDriver
Valued Member

Thanks.

I am planning on gardening for a bit until my utilization is down.

I probably should not be thinking about it already, but I have two cards on my radar I want to work towards:

US Bank Cash+ (currently pay utilities with my debit card in full each month, plus the 6 month 0% balance transfer is a nice bonus)

Amex Starwoods (I do not travel too frequently, but I would like to have a travel card to earn points....flexible on hotel or airline... and have an Amex to use at Costco)

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 6 of 15
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Nice limit! Congrats!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 7 of 15
EandK23
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

kudos on the great approval...why miss out on the 75 amazon gift certificate- just make a purchase, wait for it to post and PIF before using the card for a BT. I think the initial limit is def higher end starting CL for Discover, particularly if as a student.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 15
DailyDriver
Valued Member

Just received a mailer from Discover for my credit score.  They pulled from Equifax, 703...even better than the CK score.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.