Did you mean: 

Discover More CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover More CLI

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
 Do they give large limits on Discover More? I thought I read somewhere that this card's credit limit can go up to 50K.  I have a 25K BOA card and 750+ FICO scores.  I've been getting preapproved offers for Discover More, do you think I can get at least 25K limit on Discover More? 50K would be nice, the higher the better.

I doubt that very seriously. Discover limits might be potentially high, but in reality, they're lower than many. DH has scores in the 800's, and his limit is $14,400.

A great card, but not necessarily neck-snapping acceleration in the CL department.

yea that's basically what I figured, I was surprised when I was reading a reputable website that compares credit cards and it listed the Discover More limit as going up to 50K. I'm trying to find the link so I can post it
Message 21 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

yes Discover offers up to 50k limit
Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of limit do you have on Discover More? I don't understand why haulingthescoreup's DH is not given a higher limit with FICOs in 800s. If the limit really goes up to 50K, then who exactly is getting these high limits on Discover More?
Message 23 of 35
score_building
Senior Contributor

credit score is one of several factors used to determine CL by lenders, and some rely on its predictive ability more than others.  also, as HTSU indicated Discover is not a CL gusher in general, just not their style.

urgent_help_needed wrote:

Creditaddict wrote:

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of limit do you have on Discover More? I don't understand why haulingthescoreup's DH is not given a higher limit with FICOs in 800s. If the limit really goes up to 50K, then who exactly is getting these high limits on Discover More?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 24 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It also might help if he used the card more, and called up and nagged, lol.

But this is a squeaky-clean card, open since 1989, back when all you could do with it was buy car batteries at Sears or something.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think people that are seeing close to the 50k have had there Discover card since the beginning of Discovers time!

They just don't seem to be super generous with CL especially now.

My mom and I had a joint account that use to have 16k limit after a couple years of increased but she closed it, when she applied a year later to get another one, they only gave her 7600! 

Message 26 of 35
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Woohoo! 

Got my own CLI today.  I called in to ask if the 5% cash back beginning in April was for Home Improvement stores b/c I was headed to Home Depot to pick up something, but realized it could wait a week.  While on the phone I asked about a CLI -- went from 3.5k to 4.5k instantly.  This card started at 1.1k in Feb 08.

I love Discover..  really.  Smiley Happy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Whirled.....Did you use a backdoor number?? Or just 1800discover?
Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what Whirled did (congrats, btw!) but I just called the number on back of card.

To the person that asked, Discover is rather stingy with CL's. Pretty conservative, but great customer service. So long as you don't count the gagillion times I was called and harassed about their credit monitoring service and the likes. 

Message 29 of 35
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

turbowrx wrote:
Hey Whirled.....Did you use a backdoor number?? Or just 1800discover?

Just 1800Discover.  Smiley Happy

The last time I did a CLI (from 1.1k to 3.5k) it was w/ a hard inq b/c the computer wouldn't automatically approve me for a CLI.  This time I didn't request an amount, just an increase.  The CSR said that accts are reviewed every 3 months.  My last increase was roughly 6 months ago.

Hope that helps!

And to UPUPUP:  I still don't mind their customer service -- they've always been nice to me -- even when I cancelled their ID Protection thingie.  Smiley Happy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.