Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎10-15-2007
0

Re: Discover More CLI

[ Edited ]
Nope, i've PIF since i got it. My total util is 4% on other cards.  If the option is not there, that means you don't qualify right?
Message Edited by turbowrx on 03-23-2009 12:36 PM
Regular Contributor
Posts: 199
Registered: ‎05-29-2008
0

Re: Discover More CLI


turbowrx wrote:
Nope, i've PIF since i got it. My total util is 4% on other cards.  If the option is not there, that means you don't qualify right?
Message Edited by turbowrx on 03-23-2009 12:36 PM

 

if the option is not there, it means that they have not made it available to your account. your utility is great and if you have no baddies then you should be in good shape.  how about your usage of the card. do you use regularly?  sometimes if they see only minimum usage they may think you don't need an CLI.  I used mine for regular expenses like groceries and cell phone bills and gasoline. The option 5 was available on my account at the 5 months mark. I waited till the 8 month mark to press 5 - so not to look too desperate
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,725
Registered: ‎01-10-2008
0

Re: Discover More CLI


billsfan14 wrote:

score_building wrote:

billsfan14 wrote:
Good news and very encouraging.  I'm at 6 months in May and am hoping they really bump up this toy limit of $500!

 

is yours a student card?  i haven't heard of a regular card approved with 500.
It started out as a student card but I believe it's changed now because I have the option to BT.   Is there a max limit on credit lines for student cards?  I should call and see if it's still student or what.

the BT offer is great but that doesn't mean the card has changed to a regular card from a student card.

 

student cards tend to be low limit cards for the life of the card.  unless you successfully complete a product change it will always be a student card.  it doesn't change to a regular card just out of the blue. 

 

 

06/13: TU 779 (Barclays) EQ 771 (DCU) EX 765 (PSECU)
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎02-13-2009
0

Re: Discover More CLI


score_building wrote: 
 

the BT offer is great but that doesn't mean the card has changed to a regular card from a student card.

 

student cards tend to be low limit cards for the life of the card.  unless you successfully complete a product change it will always be a student card.  it doesn't change to a regular card just out of the blue. 




Well I really don't remember what I applied for... I checked online under my account information, and my card type is "Discover More Card"

 

Doesn't say student anywhere, so at this point I'm not sure. 

_________________


2/21 - TU 637 EQ 643
3/21 - TU 691 EQ 711

Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,017
Registered: ‎06-03-2008
0

Re: Discover More CLI

The option wasn't available for mine, so I requested to speak to customer service. They were able to give me a CLI without doing an inquiry and said it was based on my payment history.  She did say she could pull my credit and possibly give me a higher increase, but said that there was no guarantee, so I declined. Got a free $2500 increase.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 167
Registered: ‎05-22-2007
0

Re: Discover More CLI

same here but got turned down- score is mid 600s
Established Contributor
Posts: 672
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0

Re: Discover More CLI


billsfan14 wrote:

score_building wrote: 
 

the BT offer is great but that doesn't mean the card has changed to a regular card from a student card.

 

student cards tend to be low limit cards for the life of the card.  unless you successfully complete a product change it will always be a student card.  it doesn't change to a regular card just out of the blue. 




Well I really don't remember what I applied for... I checked online under my account information, and my card type is "Discover More Card"

 

Doesn't say student anywhere, so at this point I'm not sure. 


 

It wouldn't say it's a student card anywhere. Basically if you check the "Student" box it increases your chances of approval if you've got a thin/non-existant credit file, decreases your starting limit and increases your starting APR.

 

You can still get approved for CLIs, just make sure you've used it enough and PIF/POT. I started with $1,350 a little while ago, got a $500 CLI after 6 months and another $500 after 4 months (Requested the increase so that I could buy a computer via Shop Discover that cost more than my limit).

 

Source: Work for a financial institution and this is a relatively common practice.

New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎02-13-2009
0

Re: Discover More CLI

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the advice.  I'm only 19, and about a month and a half into my credit building.  I remember applying for the card out on a whim in November and was really surprised I was approved.

 

I carried a balance for the prior 4 months before I understood how credit should be used.  Never paid late, always paid a min of $100 a month so hopefully the CLI at 6 months will come through.  

 

Message Edited by billsfan14 on 03-23-2009 08:14 PM
_________________


2/21 - TU 637 EQ 643
3/21 - TU 691 EQ 711

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 268
Registered: ‎01-23-2009
0

Re: Discover More CLI

 Do they give large limits on Discover More? I thought I read somewhere that this card's credit limit can go up to 50K.  I have a 25K BOA card and 750+ FICO scores.  I've been getting preapproved offers for Discover More, do you think I can get at least 25K limit on Discover More? 50K would be nice, the higher the better.
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 28,098
Registered: ‎04-01-2007
0

Re: Discover More CLI


urgent_help_needed wrote:
 Do they give large limits on Discover More? I thought I read somewhere that this card's credit limit can go up to 50K.  I have a 25K BOA card and 750+ FICO scores.  I've been getting preapproved offers for Discover More, do you think I can get at least 25K limit on Discover More? 50K would be nice, the higher the better.

I doubt that very seriously. Discover limits might be potentially high, but in reality, they're lower than many. DH has scores in the 800's, and his limit is $14,400.

A great card, but not necessarily neck-snapping acceleration in the CL department.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.