Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More Card Reward Program

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More Card Reward Program

I just received my brand new Discover More Card I applied a week a go.  I was reading a guidebook for reward program and have question.

It says ...
All Other Purchases.  You will earn up-to 1% Cashback Bonus on all purchases other than Get More Purchases.  At the end of each billing period, we calculate your Cashback Bonus by multiplying the total amount you spent on all other purchases by th following:
When you have spent the amounts listed below in total annual purchase, you earn Cashback Bonus at the listed tier level:
$3000 + (unlimited)     1.00% (.01)
$1500 - $2999             0.50% (.0050)
$0 - $1499                   0.25% (.0025)

This is the way what I understood;
I must charge more than $3000 a year actually to get 1% Cashback Bonus with Discover More.
It is better to use my other CCs if I will not charge more than $3000 a year, because my other CCs gives me guarantee for 1% on Cashback/Points no matter how much I charge.

I feel I made big mistake by applied for Discover More Card.  I guess I use this card for only Get More Program Purchases to get 5% Cashback Bonus.

Does anyone have good or bad experience with Discover More Card?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mipema
Contributor

Re: Discover More Card Reward Program

Just my 2 cents. I was interested in this topic as well, becuase I am expecting delivery of my Discover More any day now - I found this on the Discover site.

REWARDS: Earn unlimited cash rewards on all purchases. Earn 5% Cashback Bonus on purchases throughout the year by participating in each Get More program. In addition, earn a full 1% on all other purchases after your total annual purchases exceed $3,000; other purchases that are part of your first $1,500 earn .25% and other purchases that are part of your second $1,500 earn .50%. Warehouse purchases (those made at select warehouse clubs, discount stores and their affiliates) earn .25%. We do not include warehouse purchases or Get More program purchases (up to the dollar amount specified in each applicable program) in calculating your total annual purchases to determine your tier level. Rewards are redeemable in $20 increments. Rewards have no expiration date; however, if your account is closed for any reason or inactive for 18 consecutive months or if you fail to make the Minimum Payment Due by the Payment Due Date for two consecutive billing periods, your Cashback Bonus will be forfeited. Full terms and conditions will be sent with your card.

The way I interpret this is: earn 5% cash back through rewards program (Get More) which changes four times a year (travel, home improvement, gas, and restaurants). THEN, on top of that earn up to 1% cash back for purchases (over 3K) in all other categories. I could be wrong, but I would like to hear other opinions.

Message Edited by mipema on 01-24-2008 05:50 PM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations  mipema !     You got one too.    I really liked about this card is it come with so many designs to choose from.   And rep said I can request different card design also.  So, since the rep over the phone made mistake on my card selection (I got Clear - purple ) I requested another one which I wanted (Wildlife - Dolphin).    Ohoooooooo  I can't wait to have that card!

By the way ...  Yes,  I would like to hear more from others.
Message 3 of 6
mipema
Contributor

Congrats to you too, Bunnyrabbit!!

I haven't made up my mind for a design on my card yet. I like the wildlife (and the clear - aquatic wildlife) line of cards, and I also like the arts and scenes of America, but what I really wish is that you could send Discover a .jpg .tiff .someimagefile of your favorite vacation spot, or mountains or whatever, and have them put that on a card for you. One can hope.

*Goes back to perusing card designs on Discover dot com*
Message 4 of 6
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the new card!

I just got mine last month and kinda went a little overboard on the picking the card design thing. Discover allows you to have multiple cards with different designs (same account/security code numbers too) active at the same time. It's a cool feature (if a little unsecure) but worthwhile for those of us who change moods (and like to show it) like the weather.

The Get More program is the best feature though, and is basically how I've made most of my cash back. Overall though, Discover has been pretty good to me so far.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I just received a card (yes! Wildlife - Dolphin) for my Discover More.  And I asked the question about points system at the time of I called to activate my new card.  The rep. explained to me, it is not annual total charge amount.  Just keep using your card and once it reaches $1500 charge then we will get 0.5% rewards, and once it reached $3000 charge then we will get 1.0% rewards thereafter forever in other categories.  Now it is clear and I am comfortable now. 

So, I guess it is better to use this card to reach 1% rewards in other categories.  Or, use this card for only Get More Program categories.  Because my other cards gives me 1% rewards anyway even does not reach $3000 charge.

I hope these information will help you to make your decision to apply for Discover More card or not if you are thinking about it. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.