Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More Card

We have not applied for a CC in many years, but I got a preapproval for this card.  It says 5% Cashback on travel, home improvement, department, gas, groceries, restaurants and many more.  Thats alot of cash back.

Plus 5%-20% cashback bonus if i shop at their online site (i dont shop online).

I buy alot of groceries at WM I wonder if that counts. 

Also wonder what kind of CL I would get with 150,000.+ income.

Plus the only card in my name (AU on hubbys) is a signature visa.

Only reason I would even consider applying is for the 5% cashback

Thanks Vicki

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover More Card

The categories change every quarter and there's a limit to how much is eligible for the 5% back.  This quarter is Airlines/car rentals/hotels/cruises up to $800 so max of $40 for the quarter.  Gas isn't until July thru September.  I'm not seeing groceries anywhere, unless you count warehouse clubs.  If your purchases aren't in the special category you start at .25% until you pass a spending tier and then it goes to .5% and finally to 1%.

I sent my Discover to the back and put Penfed's reward card up front.  5% on gas, 2% on groceries, 1.25% on everything else.. all the time, no limit.  It's working out much better for me. There's another rewards card folks have been pleased with but I can't put my finger on it right now.  I would recommend checking both of these out before taking the bait on Discover.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only CC I currently have is the Discover More. I've been quite pleased with it. Walmart won't count as grocery shopping ...or retail stores, either. I know somewhere on their website you can find a list of the participating vendors and when I first saw it, I wasn't too impressed. I started out with a $2,000 CL with a 650-ish score. Just over my 1 year anniversary, they gave me a CLI of $600.

I haven't had any issues with 'em ...been super great and super fast when you call.

I've really only found the 5% cashback deal to be useful when gasoline is on the agenda... unfortunately, as previously mentioned, that only lasts a few months.

Heck, the more I think about it, the more I want from my More card. Maybe you should look for something else!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apprecitate both your replys.  I think we will be sticking with using my hubbys BOA amex we get the cash back on all purchases on it.  But again thanks so glad I didnt get a hard pull on that.   You guys saved me.  Vicki

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to look into the Chase Freedom card (better if you can get the Freedom Plus version). 3% cash back. I'm making a bundle off of this card. Do a search around here for some threads on it.
Message 5 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You might want to look into the Chase Freedom card (better if you can get the Freedom Plus version). 3% cash back. I'm making a bundle off of this card. Do a search around here for some threads on it.

How do they decide to issue Plus version of the card or not? I have Starbucks card, I am thinking of asking them to do a product change.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How do they decide to issue Plus version of the card or not? I have Starbucks card, I am thinking of asking them to do a product change.

Honestly, I don't know. When I got my card originally they had sent me the signature version even though I had expressly stated during application time that I did NOT want that card. Asked them to change me to regular version and the Plus card showed up in it's place. At the time I didn't even know the difference and then after some posting here and then scouting around I found out that I was pretty lucky to have scored the Plus version. I know that if you get the regular Freedom you can still get up to 6 spending categories if you have another account with them (savings, checking, etc.). However, there is a still a cap on the rewards though. I think the best part about the PLUS card is that there is no cap. 

Message 7 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I don't know. When I got my card originally they had sent me the signature version even though I had expressly stated during application time that I did NOT want that card. Asked them to change me to regular version and the Plus card showed up in it's place. At the time I didn't even know the difference and then after some posting here and then scouting around I found out that I was pretty lucky to have scored the Plus version. I know that if you get the regular Freedom you can still get up to 6 spending categories if you have another account with them (savings, checking, etc.). However, there is a still a cap on the rewards though. I think the best part about the PLUS card is that there is no cap. 

Thanks for your input. I called Chase to see if I can do a product change. They said I can not change from starbucks card to any other card. If I need Freedom card I have to apply for a new card. I am not interested in adding new accounts so I am going to take a pass. I love drinking at starbucks so I might as well keep the card.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a feeling that would happen. For some reason it appears that with those cobranded cards you get stuck with them. The same thing happens with BofA I notice all the time.
Message 9 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's true --some let you change out, but many don't.

The store behind the card makes it a condition of their arrangement with the bank. I seem to be stuck with my Borders Visa for the same reason. Really, it's a perfectly good card. I just have a bad case of "grass is greener"!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.