cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More, NFCU, or AmEx? Which order?

tag
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

Discover More, NFCU, or AmEx? Which order?

Based upon everyone's experience with criteria they're looking for (# of inqs, previous CC and CLs, new credit, etc.), which order should I apply to the following (and how long should I wait between apps)?

DISCOVER MORE

NFCU (already a member)

AmEx (was my first cc waaaaay back in 1990, but do not currently have one)

I'm getting closer to being ready to app for at least one of them, and hope to gain the best possible outcome based on order of apps (approval and decently hi CL/lo APR).  Thanks in advance for the advice!  Smiley Happy

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
USC08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover More, NFCU, or AmEx? Which order?

Personally I would get a NFCU first.

myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 2 of 9
mross1080
Established Contributor

Well depending on your AAoA if you need a boost there if its currently low Id go for an amex if your going to space your apps. Because theyll backdate your account and show an open date of 1990 which if your AAoA is low should give you a score boost for when you app for the other 2.

Message 3 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

1. Amex

the backdating can be a mjr benefit, if don't care about the possibility of backdating app. Discover 1st then Amex.  In any case, it varies depending on applicant profile, but unless thin file, these day not especially alarmed by a few inq. AFAIK.

2. Discover

sensitive to inq and new accts. IME.

3. Navy

most lenient u/w of the three, highly capitalized nonetheless. the best option overall IMO, but they're not hyper sensitive to inq or new accts, so could app them last of the three and still get nice approval terms IMO.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 9
MrShush
Valued Contributor

If you app AMEX first, you'd have to wait for them to report the open date--in your case, 1990--to realize the benefits of the backdate. Discover typically pulls TU, but YMMV.

Message 5 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

If you app AMEX first, you'd have to wait for them to report the open date--in your case, 1990--to realize the benefits of the backdate. Discover typically pulls TU, but YMMV.

Discover does often pull TU, they did for me too in NY but it varies, they pull any of the three and sometimes more than one, particularly if borderline.

Of course the effect of backdating impacts only when the info is reported, the point in app amex 1st is to get approved 'in' and seal that deal with the possibility of backdating...of course it may take several weeks to report.

Message 6 of 9
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

Discover does often pull TU, they did for me too in NY but it varies, they pull any of the three and sometimes more than one, particularly if borderline.

The point is not to wait until the backdate hits necessarily just to get approved for amex with the best possible terms and the possibility of backdating.

True about Discover, but backdating with AMEX is automatic; the only thing you really have to ask for is a new card with the original date on it.

Message 7 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@MrShush wrote:

The point is not to wait until the backdate hits necessarily just to get approved for amex with the best possible terms and the possibility of backdating.

True about Discover, but backdating with AMEX is automatic; the only thing you really have to ask for is a new card with the original date on it.

not necessarily, it's *sometimes* automatic and sometimes not, and even if your card doesn't have the older date, it *may* still report the older date--in this instance you can either request a backdated card or leave it alone, since the important thing is the open date reporting.

Message 8 of 9
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

I really appreciate all the feedback -- very helpful and very much along the direction I was thinking.  I could certainly use the increased AAoA, so I'll probably seal the AmEx deal first, then wait a bit and go for Discover, then NFCU.

This will be my first week with ScoreWatch -- and I'm anxiously awaiting my first notification after everything reports tomorrow (well, some report tomorrow)!  I think I've become addicted this....  Smiley Surprised

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.