cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More. Should I recon?

Established Contributor

Discover More. Should I recon?

During my recent crazy app spree, I applied for a Discover More card. I received my denial letter today and it said that I would be reconsidered if I had a joint applicant. Well, I don't intend on having a joint applicant, but with my scores (currently in the 620s), should I even attempt a recon? Has anyone had a successful recon with that low of a score? I have almost 20 inquiries on each report and numerous collection accounts. 


Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
7 REPLIES
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?


Ravensfan2001 wrote:

During my recent crazy app spree, I applied for a Discover More card. I received my denial letter today and it said that I would be reconsidered if I had a joint applicant.  I have almost 20 inquiries on each report and numerous collection accounts. 


20 inquiries on each report and collections, i'll be surprised if they approve you with a joint applicant imo.


total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?

I probably wouldn't. How recent are these inqs? I would probably garden for a few and then try at it again.



Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?

I successfully recon'd with 660 scores. I don't think you will be successful if you recon especially if you have current baddies. I have 3 paid baddies and one unpaid medical from 5 years ago and I explained that. Oh btw GO RAVENS! 4 and 29!

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
New Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?


jpparker07 wrote:

I successfully recon'd with 660 scores. I don't think you will be successful if you recon especially if you have current baddies. I have 3 paid baddies and one unpaid medical from 5 years ago and I explained that. Oh btw GO RAVENS! 4 and 29!


How is Discover with reconning if you have current Medical Collections?

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
New Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?

I explained to the person that it happened back in 2007 when I didn't have health insurance and I had paid two other medical collections. It worked with chase as well. I knew my report like the back of my hand so I knew how to be ready for any questions. 

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?


distantarray wrote:

Ravensfan2001 wrote:

During my recent crazy app spree, I applied for a Discover More card. I received my denial letter today and it said that I would be reconsidered if I had a joint applicant.  I have almost 20 inquiries on each report and numerous collection accounts. 


20 inquiries on each report and collections, i'll be surprised if they approve you with a joint applicant imo.


That's why I said "crazy." I knew Discover wouldn't approve me. I've never reconed anything, so I guess I won't waste my first time with this one.... All the cards in my signature line, with the exception of Capital One, were obtained this month. I locked myself in the garden as of the 25th of November, but I'm still waiting on some responses. Just thought I'd ask...


Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More. Should I recon?


jpparker07 wrote:

I successfully recon'd with 660 scores. I don't think you will be successful if you recon especially if you have current baddies. I have 3 paid baddies and one unpaid medical from 5 years ago and I explained that. Oh btw GO RAVENS! 4 and 29!


Congrats on the approval! Ray Rice is a bad A$$ Woman LOL


Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.