Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More When Should I Apply?

tag
pennccrn
New Contributor

Discover More When Should I Apply?

Hi all:  I'm looking to apply for a Discover Care to replace one my current cards (that card has an insanely high APR at 27% - not a penalty APR, and only a limit of 1K, after it was cut from 6K. Here's my situation.  I have a line of credit (unsecured) that was closed by BofA, that was 17K, however I still have a balance of about $500, which should be paid off in a month or so. My FICO score with EX was 720.  However, I did enroll in Equifax's all-in-one credit report/score and found those scores to be lower (EQ 698 TU 693 EX 699 - I'm not sure, but I don't think they are FICO scores).  I have a few dings on my credit, four 30 day late payments and a high CU ratio around 63%. I have one inquiry on TU and EQ and none on EX, and I have an credit history of 10 years, average age 7 years.

My question is this. Do you think I should wait, until I pay down some of my cards, or could I apply for this card now.  The plan is to use this for debt consolidation at any rate, I'd just like to get rid of the high interest card, but I don't want to decrease my available credit by simple closing this account, I'd like another card to take its place with equal or more than 1K.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you all Smiley Happy  Good or bad ...

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover More When Should I Apply?

How recent are the lates?  With a 720 your an easy approval but the high UT and the lates could affect the CL.  What are your other limits?

Message 2 of 3
pennccrn
New Contributor

Re: Discover More When Should I Apply?

Lates were over 3 years ago.  I went a little crazy in my life at that time, being young and stupid. Smiley Tongue

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.