cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More and Discover It--new app vs. PC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More and Discover It--new app vs. PC?

Short version: anyone have a rough idea how Discover tends to view it if you apply for a Discover It when you already have a Discover More, and whether the new Discover It would qualify for the double cashback promo?

Longer version: My girlfriend has an old Discover More card (exactly the same as the Discover It rewards structure, except it only gives .25% cashback for the first $3000 spent outside of the 5% bonus categories, ugh), and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for her to get a Discover It. I know doing a PC from More to It is supposed to be very easy, and doesn't really have any drawbacks, except that with the double cashback promo for new It cardholders, I'm thinking she'd be better off just applying for a new card to take advantage of the 2x cashback for the first year--as long as that's something Discover will allow her to be eligible for. Has anyone ever tried this or spoken to Discover about that kind of situation?

Other background--her More card is at least 5 years old, only other card is a Chase Amazon Rewards that's about 4 years old. No lates or other issues, FICO scores all mid to high 700s. She both makes and spends more than I do, and we're gradually moving towards some combining of finances so I'm itching to maximize her rewards a little more!

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More and Discover It--new app vs. PC?

She can apply for a new IT card to get the double cash because her first card is over 12 months old.  I would do that because I don't think she will get the double cash with a product change to the IT card. If she wants she can keep the MORE and app and get an IT card and have two Discover cards.

Message 2 of 6
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Clock is ticking on the double cash back offer though. Might want to get that app in
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Short version: anyone have a rough idea how Discover tends to view it if you apply for a Discover It when you already have a Discover More, and whether the new Discover It would qualify for the double cashback promo?

Longer version: My girlfriend has an old Discover More card (exactly the same as the Discover It rewards structure, except it only gives .25% cashback for the first $3000 spent outside of the 5% bonus categories, ugh), and I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for her to get a Discover It. I know doing a PC from More to It is supposed to be very easy, and doesn't really have any drawbacks, except that with the double cashback promo for new It cardholders, I'm wondering if she'd be better off just applying for a new card to take advantage of the 2x cashback for the first year. Has anyone ever tried this or spoken to Discover about that kind of situation?

Other background--her More card is at least 5 years old, only other card is a Chase Amazon Rewards that's about 4 years old. No lates or other issues, FICO scores all mid to high 700s. She both makes and spends more than I do, and we're gradually moving towards some combining of finances so I'm itching to maximize her rewards a little more!

Thoughts?

I had my Discover More upgraded to IT card no problem with all the benefits of the IT card I will get. I have my Discover account since 2012. You should have no issues PC to Discover IT.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@manyquestions wrote:

She can apply for a new IT card to get the double cash because her first card is over 12 months old.  I would do that because I don't think she will get the double cash with a product change to the IT card. If she wants she can keep the MORE and app and get an IT card and have two Discover cards.

To add on to this: you almost definitely don't want to close the More card since it's her oldest card and she only has 2, so down the road that will be a lot of AAoA wasted if not kept open.

I also think the best strategy would be to open a new Discover It, provided of course that she will get the double cashback after first year promo.  Then, if she doesn't feel like dealing with 2 Discover cards, she might be able to get Discover to combine the new CL into the older card, leaving her with one old card with a high CL.

As a sidenote, have you also looked into other cards?  You said she earns/spends more than you and you already have some cards with pretty nice limits...I imagine if she has the inclination to diversify a bit CC-wise she could pick up some great cards, assuming she has no baddies on her reports.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@manyquestions wrote:

To add on to this: you almost definitely don't want to close the More card since it's her oldest card and she only has 2, so down the road that will be a lot of AAoA wasted if not kept open.

I also think the best strategy would be to open a new Discover It, provided of course that she will get the double cashback after first year promo.  Then, if she doesn't feel like dealing with 2 Discover cards, she might be able to get Discover to combine the new CL into the older card, leaving her with one old card with a high CL.

Awesome--that's basically the plan I had in mind to preserve her oldest account and minimize long-term hassle. Glad to hear you think I'm on the right track! I'm just not sure whether Discover will go for it, and was hoping someone else had been down that road before. But I guess I can always give Discover a call and see what they say; I'd hate to waste the app and then find out she's not eligible for the promo.

@Anonymous wrote:

As a sidenote, have you also looked into other cards?  You said she earns/spends more than you and you already have some cards with pretty nice limits...I imagine if she has the inclination to diversify a bit CC-wise she could pick up some great cards, assuming she has no baddies on her reports.

Yep, that's definitely up next Smiley Happy We're right at the beginning of treating finances as an "us" thing rather than keeping everything separate, and I don't want to be overbearing, so the Discover It/Discover More thing is kind of a baby step--if she won't go for the new app, or Discover isn't going to make it worth her while with the promo, at least the PC is a simple no-brainer. Longer term, I think she (and we) will be better off if she diversifies her cards, and she's in a pretty ideal situation to do so--good scores, clean reports, high income, doesn't carry any balances. But she's also incredibly busy and prefers to keep her financial life very streamlined, so I'm still figuring out what the one or two best cards would be to recommend she apply for.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.