Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More preapproval (finally)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More preapproval (finally)

I received my first ever Discover preapproval in the mail today.  It's for the More card.  The terms said they would consider me for an initial CL of up to $25K.  I know how these offers work, and I know that is not a guaranteed CL, but that seems kind of generous for Discover.

I know that when I used to get WaMu preapprovals, each new preapproval listed a max CL that was slightly higher than the last.  Eventually, they got up to $30K, and I was approved for $15K when I finally applied.

So, I guess my question is whether the CLs on Discover More preapprovals work the same way.  Is the "up to $25K" offer standard for Discover More, or are there different levels for these, as well?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover More preapproval (finally)

Cheddar, did you get the card?
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

laryn41 wrote:
Cheddar, did you get the card?

No, I'm holding off for now.  I've promised myself (and others) no more apps until January 2009.

I can't believe nobody knows the answer to my preapproved CL question, though.  Surely I'm not the only one on this board who's gotten a Discover preapproval in the mail.

Message 3 of 32
davidboca
Contributor

When I received a Discover pre-approval form in the mail a while back, It read up to 25K credit line with 0% interst for eight months and 5.9% on balance transfers.
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

cheddar wrote:

I can't believe nobody knows the answer to my preapproved CL question, though.  Surely I'm not the only one on this board who's gotten a Discover preapproval in the mail.

I used to receive Discover preapprovals regularly, but I think they gave up on me.  I'm sorry, but I can't recall the credit lines offered.  However, I did retrieve my "Promotional Inquiries" from my TU and EX reports obtained through annualcreditreport.com.  Just to give you an idea of how many of these preapproved offers I received:

TransUnion-

DISCOVER FINCL SVC LLC:
Requested on:  05/2007, 04/2007, 08/2006

Experian-

DISCOVER FINANCIAL SVCS:
Requested on:  July 7, 2006, April 18, 2006, March 22, 2006, February 24, 2006, January 19, 2006, December 13, 2005, November 9, 2005, October 14, 2005, September 15, 2005, August 17, 2005.
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU 744 w/ 0 inqs.
EX 725 w/ 8 inqs.

Household income: $169K

Reporting CLs are:
$15K
$9K
$7.5K
$5.1K
$5K
$2K
$1.5K
$1K
$500
$500
$500
$200

Anyone care to guess what sort of CL I might get?  They seem pretty stingy, from what I've read.

Edit: Should have mentioned utilization is less than 1%.  My guess would be $4K.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-25-2008 12:24 PM
Message 6 of 32
davidboca
Contributor

$10-15K
Message 7 of 32
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Your scores are identical to mine, you have much more income and many more open accounts than me.

They gave me $3000 CL

Take whatever you want from that statement.

I would say they would give you $5k +

Give it a shot!  Now I'm curious to see how well I guesstimated.  Help curb my boredom!

Actually, I think they would come closer to your higher limits.  They exceeded my other card's limit of $2k.

Message Edited by thrasher865 on 06-25-2008 12:29 PM

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input so far.

Yeah, I should have mentioned there wouldn't be any instant gratification from finding out how close your guess was. LOL.

I never apply on a whim, but I always agonize over it for weeks before I do.  The Discover More offer is good until July 31, so I'm thinking I might apply mid-July after I get my next Amex CLI (definitely not before).  Or I may just nix the idea and let my accounts age for a while.  I really don't need another EX inquiry, but they've been known to pull EX or TU.

Decisions, decisions....

Do I need it?  No.
Does 5% cashback in certain categories sound pretty good?  Heck, yeah.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-25-2008 12:39 PM
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheddar...my father has excellent history and has your same income and has a 13,500 limit with discover. I think Discover is not very generous.

I had a Citibank card in 2005 that had a credit line of 25,000.   Citibank is the way to go in my opinion !
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.