Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More, take it or leave it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More, take it or leave it?

Looking for some advice here. I'm new to the credit game. I recently went on an app spree. I obtained a Chase Amazon visa 18.99% with a $2000 CL, PenFed Platinum Visa Cash Rewards $5000cl (unk apr as of now), and a US Bank REI Platinum visa, $3000, with 0% for 12 months(19.99% there after). I was denied by Amex(their loss!) I am currently approved for a Discover More, $1700, 3.99% for 6months, 22%(!) there after. I applied for the same card with a much lower apr and 0% for several months, plus the $200 bonus for $1000 within 3 months. My question for the community is, do I take it or leave it? Its not a very great offer, and as far as I know Discover isn't great with CLI's. Do I have any room for negotiating? I've already taken a hard for it, so are there any other negatives to accepting their offer? Thanks for your insight!

Also, if I don't accept their offer, what are the chances they will send me better pre-approved offers?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover More, take it or leave it?

I would take the discover. ShopDiscover has some really good deals. Also ask them about special promotions. When I opened my account, I received $1 back for each of my first 20 purchases on top of normal cashback rewards.

Message 2 of 19
flowfaster
Established Contributor

If you plan on carrying a balance leave it. If you don't take it. Just max out the 5% cashback categories and then switch to another card if you wish. You can always ask for an Apr reduction later on.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 19
laboi_22
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Looking for some advice here. I'm new to the credit game. I recently went on an app spree. I obtained a Chase Amazon visa 18.99% with a $2000 CL, PenFed Platinum Visa Cash Rewards $5000cl (unk apr as of now), and a US Bank REI Platinum visa, $3000, with 0% for 12 months(19.99% there after). I was denied by Amex(their loss!) I am currently approved for a Discover More, $1700, 3.99% for 6months, 22%(!) there after. I applied for the same card with a much lower apr and 0% for several months, plus the $200 bonus for $1000 within 3 months. My question for the community is, do I take it or leave it? Its not a very great offer, and as far as I know Discover isn't great with CLI's. Do I have any room for negotiating? I've already taken a hard for it, so are there any other negatives to accepting their offer? Thanks for your insight!

I got the very same exact offer. Our scores must be similar! I was a little disgusted by the offer but I took it. I've always wanted a Discover. Customer service so far has been amazing. I heard they are conservative with inital lines but will grow with you. I think I prefer my new Discover over my Chase Freedom. I have 1000 CL with a 22.99 APR and no CLI growth opportunity. I'll try Discover. They also have great offers like the Amazon 2% cash back offer right now. 

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

At this point in time, I only see myself accepting it for the tradeline. My REI and Amazon visas give 1% Cashback on all purchases, no ceilings or hoops to jump through. I'm dissapointed that I was pre-approved for the offer with $200 for $1000 in purchases in 3 months, only to be given the low ball offer of 22% and no bonus. I think im going to give them a call and see if their are any other options(hopefully bonuses)
Message 5 of 19
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Take the offer

Message 6 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@laboi_22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the very same exact offer. Our scores must be similar! I was a little disgusted by the offer but I took it. I've always wanted a Discover. Customer service so far has been amazing. I heard they are conservative with inital lines but will grow with you. I think I prefer my new Discover over my Chase Freedom. I have 1000 CL with a 22.99 APR and no CLI growth opportunity. I'll try Discover. They also have great offers like the Amazon 2% cash back offer right now. 

I'm not sure what's wrong with the offer. A CL of $1,700 is not bad at all IMO. And the APR shouldn't be really be much of a concern. I have several cards with APR's higher than 22% but I can't remember the last time I paid any interest so the APR actually comes out to 0%.

I would definitely take the offer.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 19
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I did take the offer. I love my Discover card. I would like a card however that I can have a low APR just in case. Although like you I never revolve a balance so I'm not that unhappy with it. So far Discover has been my favorite card. I also think 1700 is a good starting CL. Chase is not even close to being as generous as Discover. I'm very pleased. I would encourage the OP to take the offer as well. 

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well here is an intersting update for the community. I just got off the phone with Discover. The representative was very polite and professional. I informed her that I was interested in accepting the offer. She asked me to hold for.a minute. She returns to the line and informs me THE OFFER IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. So after an astounding 3 hour lapse in time, the offer is no longer available. It gets better. I have no other options. They can NOT generate an additional offer. I have to wait 43 DAYS until I can apply again, resulting in an additional hard pull. I applied 2 days ago and called a back door number, the hard pull is only 2 days old! The CSR I talked to earlier informed me to call back when I made a decision and that he was mailing something out to me. I wonder what he is mailing?

This is a great first experience with Discover.

It wasn't the terms I was disgusted with, but the fact that they lured me in with a great purchase apr and bonus.
Message 9 of 19
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Call back, try someone else. A supervisor may be able to help. I've only had my Discover about a month now, but I've had no issues with the card or with CS.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.