Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More, take it or leave it?

tag
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: Discover More, take it or leave it?

Wow! I would surley try to call them again. Maybe a diffrent CSR will be able to do more. Usually they leave applications open for 30 days.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 11 of 19
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Amazon giving cash back ? I have the card you get a point for each dollar spent you use the points to get a discount at Amazon or collect 5,000 and get a check for $50,00. I would not call Amazon a cash back card..  Also not sure about the REI card either

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 12 of 19
laboi_22
Established Contributor

No Discover is offering 2% cash back right now at Amazon. It's a bonus offer. We were talking about the great bonus offered from time to time by discover
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I buy a ton of stuff of amazon.com. Points are available after each statement to be used towards purchases. REI is 5% on purchases, plus the 10% member refund. Dividends can be redeemed for cash at the end of the year. Cash back, kinda. Works for me.
Message 14 of 19
clocktick
Valued Contributor

How do find out about these offers from Discover?  Where would I find out about the Amazon offer if I didn't come to this site?

With that said, I'm a little disappointed with my Discover.  My limit is lower than both of my Cap One cards.  I don't like that you have to spend $3500 (I believe) just to earn 1%.  On the other hand, it really came through for me this quarter while visiting Disney, and other parks, in FL where I could take advantage of the theme parks 5% off.  I never know my cards' APR (except if they're 0%) but I do prefer my Chase Freedom over my Discover.  The Chase is accepted everywhere.  There is no spending threshold.  My limit is over twice as much so my utilization is lower for that card. 

I'm sorry you got a bad taste in your mouth from your first call to them to accept their "offer."  Hopefully, another CSR will be able to help you.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called back and was forwarded to, whom I believed to be, a senior analyst type. He informed me that the requirement to wait an additionl 43 days was false, and that I had an additional offer open at the moment. The current offer was the same terms as the 2nd offer, but with CL of $1000. He said I could hold off and wait for another offer, which may be better or worse than the current. I figured I would just take the offer, since I believe that my U.S. Bank Visa finally showed up on my CR(CSR hinted alot of new accounts). I did, however, express my disinterst in the low CL, stating that I could go through $1000 all too quickly. CSR advised I could apply for a CLI after 6 months. I hope they pull through after 6, or its never getting used. Should have waited for another offer? I was worried that if I waited too long that I would get another hard pull. This is all a learning experience foe me. I have found that its all a game.

Message 16 of 19
lithium78
Established Contributor

I recently got a Discover More with a similar  offer to what you received: 3.99% for six months, then 24.99% afterward, because my CSs aren't the greatest at the moment.  I've just been using the card for the rotating 5% categories, which over the past three months has included gasoline, which has been a godsend.  The savings on gas have worked out to 12 cents a gallon due to the cashback.  For the next three months, you get 5% cashback on restaurants, department stores, and clothing stores.  I eat out at least once a week, so the savings will be nice.

If you PIF, the interest doesn't matter.  You just have to make sure you don't overextend yourself and you can do quite well with those terms.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lithium78 wrote:

I recently got a Discover More with a similar  offer to what you received: 3.99% for six months, then 24.99% afterward, because my CSs aren't the greatest at the moment.  I've just been using the card for the rotating 5% categories, which over the past three months has included gasoline, which has been a godsend.  The savings on gas have worked out to 12 cents a gallon due to the cashback.  For the next three months, you get 5% cashback on restaurants, department stores, and clothing stores.  I eat out at least once a week, so the savings will be nice.

If you PIF, the interest doesn't matter.  You just have to make sure you don't overextend yourself and you can do quite well with those terms.

I would not get carried away by Discover More's 5% back. The bonus spending cap is as pitiful as usual, $300 for the whole quarter. By this measure, Freedom is 5x better. My plan for Discover is to reach the $50 for cashing out, then let it rest.

Message 18 of 19
lithium78
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lithium78 wrote:

I would not get carried away by Discover More's 5% back. The bonus spending cap is as pitiful as usual, $300 for the whole quarter. By this measure, Freedom is 5x better. My plan for Discover is to reach the $50 for cashing out, then let it rest.

I wish Discover's spending cap was higher, but I refuse to do business with Chase.  I was a WaMu customer when Chase took over a couple years back and I absolutely hate the way Chase handles transactions.  They purposefully delayed transactions and reordered them in an effort to draw fees. 

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.