cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More vs. Amex Gold Premier Rewards vs. Amex Blue (Cash)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More vs. Amex Gold Premier Rewards vs. Amex Blue (Cash)

Which one of these cards is better in terms of overall all value? points, rewards etc...  Any other cards that I could benifit better from?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Amnesia87
Contributor

Re: Discover More vs. Amex Gold Premier Rewards vs. Amex Blue (Cash)

Blue Cash Preferred

Citi Forward (assuming they aren't lowering the bonuses on that one)

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Discover More is good if the catagories suit your spending habits, For June only its 5% cashback at grocery and drug stores, April-June its also 5% Home and Fashion, in Jul-Sep its 5% Gas and Hotels, Oct-Dec its 5% Resturants and Fashion.

I'm not exactly sure about the AmEx, I'm sure someone will chime in on the card.

I have the Discover More, and I'm happy with it so far.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Amnesia87 wrote:

Blue Cash Preferred

+1 on the Blue Cash Preferred, it's an awesome card, I am going to PC my Blue Cash to the BCP in a few months, cant wait!!!

Message 4 of 7
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

I have the PR Gold and the Discover More I am dying to get the Blue cash preferred as DW and I spend a ton in groceries but currently I LOVE my PR Gold I do like the discover but I am not fond of the low spend caps 

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 5 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You'll get the most value out of the PR Gold if you plan to redeem for travel, and especially so if you put enough spend through the card to earn business or first class tickets.  If you're planning to redeem for gift cards, you're probably better off getting cash instead and going with the Blue Cash Preferred or Discover More.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

Discover More -  Too constrictive with their 3k threshold and rotating categories, in my estimation.

Blue Preferred - Great card if you buy tons and tons of groceries from supermarkets, pump lots of gas, and buy stuff from department stores.  Card is more limited if your purpose is dining, entertainment, and often use travel related services.

PR Gold -  The best if you use airfare, and spend at least 30k.  With points bonuses (online mall special deals), conversion arbitrage with MR to miles, and 30k points bonus this is one of the best rewards cards in the industry.  Used properly, it's equivalent to around 3 - 4% cash back.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.