Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More vs. Chase Freedom

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Discover More vs. Chase Freedom

Clipboard06.jpg

it looks like Chase has got Discover running for its money. Finally! this in addtion to the other changes; i now have a reason to use this card.

discover has finally gotten the message all thanks to chase.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover More vs. Chase Freedom

Discover is being very proactive and smart by timing that as well as taking a bit of risk (sooner than the other issuers, not a higher risk mind you than before the crunch). They're attracting and building market share by out doing some other cards. Remember, Discover invented cash back for the most part. They beat the CL on my Freedom when I applied I think because they saw the number of rewards cards I had along with an AMEX product (and I hear they really want to nab some Chase\AMEX biz).  I wouldn't have had a Discover when they first came out (and I could have LOL, yeah, I'm that old Smiley Sad), I got offers from them back then all the time and I viewed them as a less than usable (cough) product.

Now I'm giving them a chance as they are giving me a chance with a higher than expected limit. If you check trends, the average score at time of issue has been dropping steadily for a while now as issuers try to garner new blood (after the blood letting not long ago). It's a brilliant move by Discover really. I wouldn't be adverse to buying a bit of stock in them now actually LOL (no, I'm not joking, I'd just have to research into my theory).

There are those standing in the office building out of the slowly fading rain watching the traffic, there are some standing under the awning in front talking to passers by... Discover is out walking around in the rain on both sides of the street looking for possible eligible clients knowing the sun will shine again and maybe sooner than the others expect.Smiley Wink  And that's good business sense. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 2 of 9
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Competition is good but wish Discover met and exceeded the Chase $1500 cap versus merely meeting it. it's a start but they should've gone to $2k Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 9
brian2220
Regular Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Discover is being very proactive and smart by timing that as well as taking a bit of risk (sooner than the other issuers, not a higher risk mind you than before the crunch). They're attracting and building market share by out doing some other cards. Remember, Discover invented cash back for the most part. They beat the CL on my Freedom when I applied I think because they saw the number of rewards cards I had along with an AMEX product (and I hear they really want to nab some Chase\AMEX biz).  I wouldn't have had a Discover when they first came out (and I could have LOL, yeah, I'm that old Smiley Sad), I got offers from them back then all the time and I viewed them as a less than usable (cough) product.

Now I'm giving them a chance as they are giving me a chance with a higher than expected limit. If you check trends, the average score at time of issue has been dropping steadily for a while now as issuers try to garner new blood (after the blood letting not long ago). It's a brilliant move by Discover really. I wouldn't be adverse to buying a bit of stock in them now actually LOL (no, I'm not joking, I'd just have to research into my theory).

There are those standing in the office building out of the slowly fading rain watching the traffic, there are some standing under the awning in front talking to passers by... Discover is out walking around in the rain on both sides of the street looking for possible eligible clients knowing the sun will shine again and maybe sooner than the others expect.Smiley Wink  And that's good business sense. 

they also beat out my chase limit by 500 with 2500 

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 4 of 9
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

@brian2220 wrote:

they also beat out my chase limit by 500 with 2500 

you do realize the thread is about spending caps for rewards, not card spending limits.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 5 of 9
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Sorry, kind of came across to me as all the competition between the two for customers......  Though what you mention, the new 1500 cap for 5% etc,  is one of the main things I took into consideration when deciding to apply  Smiley Happy

I have to admit, I didn't think I'd get offered the limit I did, so that turned out to be a surprise.   Now though, the card seems a bit more useful with the new rewards structure.  The only 5% I know of for gas (at least part of the time) are Freedom, Penfed (of course all the time with that one at least) and now Discover (part time like Freedom).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 9
Cory
Established Contributor

Okay, I have to got to chim in on this topic too. I recently received a unexpected, credit limit increase of $1K from Discover! I am so happy with them because I didn't request it! WOW! BofA is my primary card and I love BofA, but I'm trying to figure out how to give Discover some love! Or maybe just kept doing what I'm doing is good enough for Discover. And yes, did they really change their cashback limits? Or is this a limited time only for the month of January and February which I also observed.

Cory

Message 7 of 9
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Cory;

When speaking with them on the phone about the CB program, it sounded as though the 1500 was the new "up to" limit for the 5% on rotating categories.  I even said "oh, so pretty much like Chase Freedom on how much is allowed and activating then" and he said yes.   CSR mentioned nothing of the 1500 changing when activating the CB for different time periods, so I'd say it's the new limit until something changes.

Disclaimer: I was more interested in my limit being what I was told on the phone verses what it said on the paper the card came on and online status. I posted another thread about that. So can't say I got every detail on the cash back program, I'm sure it's in my paperwork though.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 9
Cory
Established Contributor

Okay, thank you so much for your answer.

Cory

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.