Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover More!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover More!

Wow - applied online, got the "further review" page...

Checked the page for 3 days and called today.

Approved for $1500.00. Kind of a kick in the stomach but I am at 49% utilization right now accross the board.

So, I will live with it.

Any tips on how to get that line increased as quickly as possible? I plan to PIF each month.

Thanks!  Ray

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Discover More!

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow - applied online, got the "further review" page...

Checked the page for 3 days and called today.

Approved for $1500.00. Kind of a kick in the stomach but I am at 49% utilization right now accross the board.

So, I will live with it.

Any tips on how to get that line increased as quickly as possible? I plan to PIF each month.

Thanks!  Ray

Congrats!  Discover does account reviews every three months for CLIs during the first year of opening an account.  Until you get your utilization down significantly, your line may remain  at $1500. 

Message 2 of 17
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Spend as much as you can and PIF, or don't PIF, doesn't really matter IME.  But, I do think your overall util is hurting you.  When it comes down, your CL will go up.

I probably run almost $10K a year through my Discover card, and I've gotten pretty steady CLIs.  I get them when I've PIF, and I get them when I'm carrying a $3000 balance for a few months.  As long as you are responsible and you use the card, Discover seems ready to give out higher CLs.

Although, other member have said the exact opposite: that Discover is one of the stingiest CCCs, so YMMV.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank a bunch!

I know my utilizations is high - finally got off my butt and cleared up a bunch of stuff - and therewere some errors on EX that I am waiting to clear up. So, I will run a ton of stuff through the card and PIF each month and wait to see what happens.

I am hammering my last high util card as fast as I can and that will help. We throw everything we can at it each month. All others are now PIF and resting well!  Smiley Happy

I had hope for a little more but this one can "grow"......

Thanks again - Ray

Message 4 of 17
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Yes, don't feel bad about the low initial CL.  It has been my experience that Discover is very capable of growing with you.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best I can tell (without official look), I should be in the 760 area...

Last fall I picked up a new car and the dealership told me I was at 741 - not sure who they pulled though.

So, in this little app spree:

1. AMEX ZYNC - approval and they are backdating me to 1979 when I had my first AMEX!

2. Discover - approval.

3. Citi - still pending. I like the 0 percent for 21 months.

4. Chase - still pending. Same reason as #3...

So, that will be it for a while for me. Might have done too much already...

--Ray

Message 6 of 17
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. AMEX ZYNC - approval and they are backdating me to 1979 when I had my first AMEX!

Smiley Surprised WOW! That will look awesome on your report!

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 7 of 17
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I've had my Discover More card for almost 3 years now and have only received 1 CLI from them and that was 2 years ago.  I typically pay balances off BEFORE the statement cuts so it shows up on my CBR with a 0 balance.  This month I let a balance report and next month I'll do the same to see if they auto CLI my account.  If nothing happens, back in the SD is goes.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be intersting to see what they do for me. I will run as much as I can through it for a while - maybe 6 to 12 months.

If they are kind, I will keep using it daily. If not, I will auto-pay the cell phone bill with it each month.  Smiley Happy

Ray

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I talked with them twice yesterday about this and really got nowhere as I have not used these cards since about 1985. I have had a Green, Gold, and Optima card with them. It seems that I have fallen out of their data-base...  Smiley Sad

The last person that I spoke with was quite helpful and gave me a fax number to send a copy of my credit report related to AMEX and the 1979 date. She thought even though I am no longer in the data-base, this department and the copy of the related AMEX information would be all I need to get them to back-date.

I faxed this information in this morning and will wait to see what happens..

Right now, my oldest credit dates back to 1985 so getting this addtional 6 years will be nice.

I will post back once I know what happens.

--Ray

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.