Valued Contributor
jmbfl

Re: Discover - NO CLI - Sign of the times ?

brisdad wrote:

I've had my Discover More for about, oh, 90 minutes or so, and my cl is HALF of my Chase Visa. I got the pre-aqpproved letter (with reference number, 0% until 2010, 5-20% cash back, bla bla) and thought 'what the heck'. I'm not happy with the limit, and I asked her if she could sweeten it a tad and get it at least close to 10k. I guess the 7 other new accounts in the past month kinda put the kabosh on that. I was also told I'd be much happier in 6 months, that's when I should look for a super cli. FYI, the woman at cs said they were being VERY careful about credit limts now, but not so much about opening a new account.

Now I'm REALLY REALLY done applying for more cards!

I seriously wonder about the thought process behind some of these actions. I wouldn't want to draw any undo attention a situation like that. A recon is a recon and everything is back on the table.

On the otherhand I had two new accounts reporting when I app'ed my Discover Card in AUG. I received an $8.1K CL (plus the intro APR/BT) and am quite pleased. The card is good. Use it and enjoy it. One more thing - Discover will expect to see use when you ask for that CLI in six months. DFS rewards use and not SD'ing!

Contributor
brisdad

Jm, there's a lot of validity to your post, I was simply curious about a reference numbered pre-approval versus the ambiguous ones that are merely based on your base Fico scores. I like having a lot of credit cards again, but I don't need them. That means I'm in a position to be a guinea pig of sorts to test the unknown credit waters. I've heard people say that Discover wouldn't touch you if you had 4-6 inquiries or new cl's in the past year and others who claim just the opposite. But as far as I'm concerned, it's just another prime card that I can keep for years. It was definitely a gamble, but I'm old enough to be able to take one every once in a while. BTW, When I talked to cs, she asked why I was interested in a Discover card. I told her, with the Big 3 (Chase, Citi, BofA) buying up every podunk bank around, it created a greated financial risk for the foreseeable future and I was looking for a card with stability, Boy, that sure scored me a few points.
MyFico TU:733 EQ:739 EX:727 11/10/08
Established Contributor
MrCredit

Discover has always been known as a conservative lender. They are very cautious with CLIs, frankly one of their less likeable traits in my book. Still stuck at $1000 PIF and had account for one year.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+