Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover : No Balance Transfers for You [UPDATED]

tag
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Re: Discover : No Balance Transfers for You

Same here, I'm not seeing the 18mo/4.99%/0 transfer any more, just the 12mo/0%/3% transfer fee.

Message 11 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I've had a Discover IT card for 3 years. There have continually been balance transfer offers, either fee-free, or interest-free.

Today, for the first time in 3 years, I got this message:

"Unfortunately, there are no offers available on your account at this time."

Does anybody know what this is about?

Here is my guess: historically I used the balance transfers plenty, but never carried a balance, usually paying the balance off even before the statement cuts; I never get good CLI's from Discover, so I have always been curious as to how I could change their view of me; I read in this forum that Discover's business model is to target revolvers rather than transactors, so this month I deliberately carried a 25% balance; their algorithm, instead of seeing that as a nice thing, interpreted it as a sign of distress. That's my guess, but I'm curious if anyone has any better insight into it.

If this persists, I will finally follow through on my dream of relegating the Discover card to the sock drawer, since the balance transfer offers were the only feature I liked about the card.  I'm not particularly fond of the idea of taking up space in my wallet with a card that is not accepted everywhere, and I simply cannot spare any of my few remaining brain cells for the purpose of keeping track of Discover's bonus categories, most of which are either useless, or almost useless, to me.  E.g. sometimes their category is for department stores or wholesale stores. I don't go to either of those. This quarter their category is gas. My regular cards get me 2% cash back on everything, and some get me 3% cash back on gas. And I probably spend $50 a month on gas. So for $1.50 a month I can skip worrying about what's hot at Discover this quarter Smiley Happy

My DW's Discover says the same thing southie. Mine just has the 12/0/3 which I am using right now,

Message 12 of 50
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Where are you guys seeing offers when you log in?

I see the offer on the summary page: 1st column on left is Current Balance, then payment due, rewards, 4th column on the right is "Transfer Balances". But I've done a BT in the past few months, if you don't see it on your summary page it's under the top menu Manage, Credit Options, Balance Transfer.

And you guys  are right, I've had the 0% APR 3% BT fee or 4.99% APR, 0% BT fee forever, but now the 0% BT is 5.99% APR. But I do still have both.

Message 13 of 50
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Where are you guys seeing offers when you log in?

I used to see them at Manage --> Credit Options/Balance Transfer

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 14 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I just checked mine and got the 12 mon 0% APR or 18 month no fee @ 4.99%.
Message 15 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any offers at the moment either. which is weird because I always have had offers!

Edit to add: I wonder if it's bc they lowered my APR to 0% for the year....

Message 16 of 50
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have any offers at the moment either. which is weird because I always have had offers!

Edit to add: I wonder if it's bc they lowered my APR to 0% for the year....

Well it's comforting to know I'm not alone Smiley Happy  Misery loves company Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 50
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Well there goes my theory. Discover hasn't just singled me out, it represents some kind of change in policy on balance transfers.

I'm putting the card in my sock drawer, but it will be interesting to see what Discover does next.

Since they're not offering me balance transfers, the CLI question becomes a moot point for me.

Message 18 of 50
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Yep... On my old card, I had two BT options last month... not I have none.  My new card has an intro offer, so its not surprising there aren't additional offers.  Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 19 of 50
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My first go around i encountered this as my first year was coming up. Had offers all year long then bam nothing. One of the factors in me closing it lol. I figured it was cuz i was affected by Maria and they didnt want to lend me any money. But i figure its Disco being Disco doing Disco doosiesSmiley Wink
Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.