Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Online banking terrible idea!

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Discover Online banking terrible idea!

Hi guys, my parents just signed up for their Discover It cards, both of them were approved.

One card is under my moms name only and the other one is under both my dad and my moms name (joint app).

My dad was the primary app, but she is on there as joint.

Anyways, we signed up for the online banking under my mom and she can only see her personal credit card, not the join credit card that she has with my dad.

We called Discover to ask them to add her joint credit card to the current online banking, but they said they could not do that and that they had to have my dad to sign up for his own online banking.

First my dad is not very good with online, he is older and doesn't feel comfortable using computers/tech stuff, so he doesn't want to do it, so I am not sure what else to do.

For my mom, she is not very good with the online, but she manages to get by, asking her to remember two seperate logins for Discover would be too much to ask her.

I am not sure why Discover cannot do this, anyone experienced this issues with their personal cards and join cards if you have Discover?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Discover Online banking terrible idea!

Consider this scenario, you have your own account and then you are joint with someone else. Would you want that person to have access to your acct? I would just have your mother use the same login but add a letter or number to the end. She could use the same password. For instance, Discover and Discover1
Message 2 of 10
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Consider this scenario, you have your own account and then you are joint with someone else. Would you want that person to have access to your acct? I would just have your mother use the same login but add a letter or number to the end. She could use the same password. For instance, Discover and Discover1

Well she applied as a joint signer, so she should have equal rights as my dad to the account to access the full information. No?

Joint signers is different than Authorized users.

If anything it would be the other way around. My dad would not have access to her account, since she is the one signed up for online banking, so she should be able to access her card and the card she is a joint signer on the account.

Look at bank accounts, if I have a checking at BoA, and I am a joint signer with another person then I can access that account by simply login to my exisiting account instead of me signing up for another online bank account to access that joint account.

BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 3 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Maybe I am missing something, are you saying she does not have full access to the account? Or that they only allow the primary cardholder to enroll in online banking?
Message 4 of 10
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Maybe I am missing something, are you saying she does not have full access to the account? Or that they only allow the primary cardholder to enroll in online banking?

She had to be on the credit card application because otherwise my dad would not be approved for a credit card. She has full access to the credit card since my dad applied with her as a joint signer. So she should be able to access that credit card through her online banking at Discover.

Message 5 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Ok, now I get it...sorry I confused online banking with the online bill pay. So, the online banking which is separate from the credit card is not allowing your Mom to see her joint credit card?

Message 6 of 10
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Ok, now I get it...sorry I confused online banking with the online bill pay. So, the online banking which is separate from the credit card is not allowing your Mom to see her joint credit card?

Correct, I have a feeling this could be because my dad name was put in first in the application and her name as second in the application as joint?

But this should not matter if this was a joint app no?

Message 7 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yes. I am joint with my DH on our CU Visa and its his info that we have to use. He has never logged on.
Message 8 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Correct, I have a feeling this could be because my dad name was put in first in the application and her name as second in the application as joint?

But this should not matter if this was a joint app no?

It does matter.  Joint loan/credit accounts follow strict/specific rules due to privacy issues regardless if your mom has her own separate account.  They cannot be linked contrary to the logic you assume.  So, your dad/mom's joint account is considered (1) ID profile, your mom's individual (non-joint) account is considered its own, separate ID profile.  Again, regardless if her SSN is listed for either account.

Message 9 of 10
Irisa
Senior Contributor

I think that may be standard procedure.  I have a joint account and an individual account at my credit union. I can't add the joint account to my individual online banking. The joint account needed a separate online account.

Although I've found Discover to actually be stricter regarding online accounts. I have two individual accounts with Discover, savings and credit card. I can't even link those two together.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.