cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Open Road -vs- Chase Freedom.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Open Road -vs- Chase Freedom.

The first year the "program fee" is waived. Even if it wasn't I got that back my first month in cash rewards, which would make the next 11 months free. Smiley Wink But, yes, you need to push enough through the card to get the benefits, but that goes for any rewards card really.

Also, it's worth noting that if you have pets, you get 3% on pet stores and veterinary purchases. That's probably where all my rewards are coming from. Smiley Very Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

@wmarat wrote:

Yes. Better deal if you spend over $800+ in category areas each month to cover the $30 annual fee. I might get this one now. Smiley Happy Thanks

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-22-2008 11:30 AM
Message 21 of 25
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think so. Read the link posted above it says:

"Get the card that rewards you the most where you spend the most! Whether you want cash back, points, or miles, it's your choice. You also get unlimited earning, no caps and no expiration dates on rewards."

...and when I called customer service they told me the same. Plus, while I have yet to sit down and add up exactly what my spending and rewards are, I'm bringing in $40-45 per month in cash rewards, so I don't think I'd be able to do that if there were caps.

@athensguy wrote:
There are still caps on the 3% bonus categories with the Freedom Plus. After you exceed them, they revert to 1%.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-22-2008 11:24 AM

Looks like you are right. I was mistaken in that I thought the 2% bonus on the categories went away at $600 bonus spending. Looks like that's only the regular Freedom.

I will still end up better using the regular Freedom due to my better rewards from other cards.
Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I hit the jackpot with this plus card. I use it for nearly everything.  I actually was sent the signature version, but did not want it, so I asked them to change before activating and then I was sent the Plus card. When it first arrived I was stumped as to what the difference was, and then then I was pleased to learn that for once, I actually got a better deal! Smiley Very Happy

athensguy wrote:
Looks like you are right. I was mistaken in that I thought the 2% bonus on the categories went away at $600 bonus spending. Looks like that's only the regular Freedom.

I will still end up better using the regular Freedom due to my better rewards from other cards.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One has a decent card (for those with average credit).
They offer this:

• 5 points per dollar spent at gas stations, major grocery and drug stores
  • 1 point for every dollar spent on other purchases
  • No limit on points earned and they don’t expire for the life of your account
  • The points really are no hassle too. You can convert them after you've earned a certain amount, I think  800, into either cash, statement credit or gift cards (and it's really quick and easy).

I have the same card in a higher credit category and it only offers 2 points/dollar. The points convert easily to cash and 1 point = 1 penny. I think the points are the same percentage on the lower grade card, but plan to call Capitol One to check. If so, I will switch mine over to the lower grade card, because it would be very easy to make up the $29.00 AF at that kind of rewards rate.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 09-28-2008 02:27 AM
    Message 24 of 25
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

I don't like credit cards like Discover's Open Road.  Too many tiers to worry about to get the max benefits.

I stick with my Shell Mastercard.  Clear and to the Point.

( 1 ) 5% on all Shell Gasoline Purchases

( 2 ) 5% on all Shell Store Purchases

( 3 ) 5% on all Jiffy Lube Purchases daily up to $100

( 4 ) 1% everywhere else

No benefit maxiums.  All rebates applied to your next statement.

Message 25 of 25
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.