cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Open Road -vs- Chase Freedom.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Open Road -vs- Chase Freedom.

Okay, I'm so confused as to why nobody ever comments on the Freedom Plus..."unlimited earning with no caps" and 3% in top 6 categories plus the option to take the $50 bonus I referenced in my post above. Woudn't that be better then just 5% on gas and 2% on groceries and 1.25% on everything else?

Message 11 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay, I'm so confused as to why nobody ever comments on the Freedom Plus..."unlimited earning with no caps" and 3% in top 6 categories plus the option to take the $50 bonus I referenced in my post above. Woudn't that be better then just 5% on gas and 2% on groceries and 1.25% on everything else?

I think it's better, too, but it sure doesn't get marketed very much. And there was some question as to whether the cash back rewards were being replaced by points; don't know what the final outcome was on that.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never could find anything to substantiate that. I remember looking for it because it was right when I got my card. So far, so good though. What I won't be doing is converting to points, I think someone did that and then they could not switch back to cash. I'd much rather have the cash anyway, so I never would do that.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's better, too, but it sure doesn't get marketed very much. And there was some question as to whether the cash back rewards were being replaced by points; don't know what the final outcome was on that.

Message 13 of 25
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I just do not like Chase

UpUpUp wrote:

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay, I'm so confused as to why nobody ever comments on the Freedom Plus..."unlimited earning with no caps" and 3% in top 6 categories plus the option to take the $50 bonus I referenced in my post above. Woudn't that be better then just 5% on gas and 2% on groceries and 1.25% on everything else?

I looked for this card on Chase's website and could not find it. Could you please provide a link to this card described above. Thanks. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 25
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wmarat wrote:

Yes. Better deal if you spend over $800+ in category areas each month to cover the $30 annual fee. I might get this one now. Smiley Happy Thanks
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My Freedom Plus has been getting a workout. I didn't hear anything about them switching to points or points only. I thought one of the benefits was being able to switch between points, cash back or miles?

The $100 or 10,000 mile sign up bonus is nice too.
Message 18 of 25
athensguy
Valued Contributor

There are still caps on the 3% bonus categories with the Freedom Plus. After you exceed them, they revert to 1%.

Citi Driver's Edge is going to be my grocery card, even after the promotional 6% period is over because you can only redeem drive rebates if you have equivalent purchase rebates.

Soooooo
If I get a Penfed Card my main card lineup will be like so:

Discover More: used for whatever promo category they are offering at 5%

Penfed: Gas and purchases that don't fall into a promo category on another card

Citi Driver's Edge: Grocery and car service

Citi Professional: 3% Dining out and Car Rentals

Chase Freedom: No idea, but I'll limit it to three categories per month. Gas, Grocery and Dining out is most of my spending and those are covered better by other cards. Most of my utility cost requires bank drafts. I guess I can pay for cell phone and TV/Internet with it. It will probably be a leave at home card.

---
I had an Open Road card, but with $100 dollar spending cap on Gas, it just isn't worth it, so I converted it back to More.
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so. Read the link posted above it says:

"Get the card that rewards you the most where you spend the most! Whether you want cash back, points, or miles, it's your choice. You also get unlimited earning, no caps and no expiration dates on rewards."

...and when I called customer service they told me the same. Plus, while I have yet to sit down and add up exactly what my spending and rewards are, I'm bringing in $40-45 per month in cash rewards, so I don't think I'd be able to do that if there were caps.

athensguy wrote:
There are still caps on the 3% bonus categories with the Freedom Plus. After you exceed them, they revert to 1%.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 09-22-2008 11:24 AM
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.