Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Open Road

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Open Road

I was wondering if the Discover Open Road card is harder to get than the Discover More card? My DH has a Discover More, which I am an AU on. I was hoping to get my own Discover card, but wanted your advice. Here are my current cards:

WAMU Platinum Visa $4500 CL / $494 Balance
Target Visa $1500 CL / $0 Balance
Dell Financial Account $4000 CL / $384 Balance
Juniper Mastercard $2000 CL / $60 balance
HSBC Furniture Row $2800 CL / $0 Balance - haven't used since 2005 / shows inactive but is counting in my utilization
Discover More $2000 CL / $0 Balance - AU

My current FICO scores as of 7/19/08 are TU 677 EQ 683 EX 697
Should I try to apply or would another card be better? I probably don't need any at this point, but would just like an opinion on this.

Message Edited by TLM on 07-22-2008 05:57 PM

Message Edited by TLM on 07-22-2008 06:00 PM
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Open Road

My suggestion would be pay off Juniper, then see if you can pay off either the wamu or the dell cc or maybe even both if you can, let them report, your scores will probably end up being 700 or so and will give you a better chance at it maybe even better terms and cl.... You could probably get it now but it might give you a better term and cl if you pay those off first... That would be my suggestion.  Depending on if you have any bads on your reports my geuss would be you could get any of the discovercards that you want to get
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the advice you were given above is good. I did a lot of googling and sifting through the who gave me credit and other similiar sites before apping for the Discover More card. From what I could see they both seem to be about the same same. I saw a few people that said the gas card was easier, but on all the credit card rating sites they say you need to have "excellent credit" and it looks like most folks that got approved had atleast high 600's/low 700's.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

like i said i bet you could probably get approved right now but to give you the best chance and best possible terms i would suggest paying 1-3 of your cards off... Me and my husband both have one and love them best to have best possible terms though
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

kvdss wrote:
like i said i bet you could probably get approved right now but to give you the best chance and best possible terms i would suggest paying 1-3 of your cards off... Me and my husband both have one and love them best to have best possible terms though

You love them huh? Haven't received mine yet, I'm dying to be able to log onto the shopping site. It won't let you on unless you are logged in and I don't have my card yet!!
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah i know you do need to be logged in and i actually havent used that feature i just use it for gas in my truck and car and my husbands scooter... we get the cash back on gas and so that is nice

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, with these ridiculous prices it's SO nice to get something back on gas purchases. I've been using my PenFed card for 5% on gas, but I'm interested in trying out the DM because they said they offer different categories such as Gas, Groceries, Home Improvement, etc. quarterly and you get 5% back in each of the current categories. I was torn on which to app for, but went for the More for that reason (only cuz I already have a gas card...).  Saw a lot of people saying to get the full benefit, to shop through their site. I order a lot of things online anyway...so it might be a good perk. Hopefully they have some good stores.
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoa I was gonna apply for a Discover More/Open Road but I read the fine print... you gotta spend $3000 for the rewards of 1% and 5% to kick in. The first $1500 is .25% and the other $1500 is .5%

I think I'm just gonna stick to Blue Cash.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

not for the gas part i spend maybe like 500/ month on that card on gas and i am getting my rewards
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

thatdoodjohn wrote:
Whoa I was gonna apply for a Discover More/Open Road but I read the fine print... you gotta spend $3000 for the rewards of 1% and 5% to kick in. The first $1500 is .25% and the other $1500 is .5%

I think I'm just gonna stick to Blue Cash.

I thought on the More card that was just on the 1% regular rewards, not the 5% quarterly categories. I even read some in depth reviews about how the card works and that's what they said. Even still, it won't take long to do that if I put monthly bills etc through the card at the beginning. And, the bonus savings from 5-20% on their site don't require any minimum spending before the rewards % kicks in.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.