Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Owned by Capital One? NOPE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Owned by Capital One?

Csr sometime says the dumbest thing...
Ex....a capital one Csr told me that the Emv chip was a tracking device...I immediately hung up and proceeded to drink two big glass of wine to clear my mind of human stupidity...
Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

NOT TRUE... I just hopped on chat to hear it for myself...Smiley SurprisedSmiley Tongue

info: at 11:20:26

Thank you for choosing Discover. A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Sierra'

Me: at 11:20:29
Hi,

Sierra: at 11:20:31
Hello!

Sierra: at 11:20:34
Thank you so much for chatting with me! What can I assist you with this fine day?

Me: at 11:20:58
I just heard this morning that Discover is now owned by Capital one? Is this true?

Sierra: at 11:22:02
I appreciate you reaching out to us about this matter.

Sierra: at 11:22:47
Currently we are not owned by another company.

Me: at 11:23:08
Ughh... Good grief.. Thanks for clarifying.

Me: at 11:23:15
So this is just a rumor then..

Sierra: at 11:23:51
This is the first time I am hearing it from a Cardmember. I apologize if this caused you any concern.

Me: at 11:24:35
No worries, as long as it is a rumor then I will take it with a grain of salt. Thank you very much for your time.

Sierra: at 11:24:42
You're welcome!

Sierra: at 11:24:43
Thank you for chatting with me! I value your feedback. Please click here to rate your experience with me today.

Sierra: at 11:24:46
I hope you have an absolutely wonderful week! Smiley Happy

info: at 11:25:24
Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "End Chat" button on the top right of the chat window to tell us how we did today.

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update. Might want to update the title in the OP to minimize panic. Smiley Wink 

Message 13 of 37
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NOT TRUE... I just hopped on chat to hear it for myself...Smiley SurprisedSmiley Tongue

Thank you for choosing Discover. A representative will be with you shortly.

You are now chatting with 'Sierra'

Me: at 11:20:29
Hi,

Sierra: at 11:20:31
Hello!

Sierra: at 11:20:34
Thank you so much for chatting with me! What can I assist you with this fine day?

Me: at 11:20:58
I just heard this morning that Discover is now owned by Capital one? Is this true?

Sierra: at 11:22:02
I appreciate you reaching out to us about this matter.

Sierra: at 11:22:47
Currently we are not owned by another company.

Me: at 11:23:08
Ughh... Good grief.. Thanks for clarifying.

Me: at 11:23:15
So this is just a rumor then..

Sierra: at 11:23:51
This is the first time I am hearing it from a Cardmember. I apologize if this caused you any concern.

Me: at 11:24:35
No worries, as long as it is a rumor then I will take it with a grain of salt. Thank you very much for your time.

Sierra: at 11:24:42
You're welcome!

Sierra: at 11:24:43
Thank you for chatting with me! I value your feedback. Please click here to rate your experience with me today.

Sierra: at 11:24:46
I hope you have an absolutely wonderful week! Smiley Happy

info: at 11:25:24
Thank you for chatting with us. Please click the "End Chat" button on the top right of the chat window to tell us how we did today.

LOL, no panic mode. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 37
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I kinda buy that EMV is a tracking device. Remember the movie, "They Live? Yeah...😂
Message 15 of 37
BlueRenew
Contributor

Re: Discover Owned by Capital One? NOPE!

Uh no! Please let this stay a rumor! Woman Sad

My 7 Cards

NFCU CashRewards: $7,500 I Discover It: $4,000 I Sallie Mae: $2800 I Amazon Chase Visa: $1000 I Amazon Store Card: $900 I Cap1 Quicksilver1: $750 I Macys Store Card: $600
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP-  Update the title of the thread as this is mis-information from 1 CSR to minimize panic.

Message 17 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

idk that sierra girl answered it like a politician. she says "currently we are not owned by another company" that doesn't explain plans that may be in the works

also, "this is the first time i am hearing it from a card member" obviously means it isn't news to her, she's just surprised card members know lol
Message 18 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:
Discover is a bank and a network though. How will it take over a network when Cap1 isn't one?

Well, it's almost certainly not true, but businesses take over other businesses all the time, acquiring capabilities they didn't have.  So in this case Cap One would own the assets of DIscover, including the network and bank (and would then at some later stage move at least some of the cards to that network to reduce costs).

Except it isn't happening!

Message 19 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically...banks but banks all of the time...
Think of all of the old credit cards companies that don't exist anymore.
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.