Did you mean: 

Discover Peronalized Offer & Cap 1 Income

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Peronalized Offer & Cap 1 Income

Hi all,

I have two questions on behalf of my boyfriend:

He recently got an offer in the mail to apply for a Discover It card. He applied and got an "Unfortunately we cannot approve you at this time" message. Anyway, this was months ago, and the inquiry never showed up on any credit reports. Is that strange? Do you think they didn't pull his report or process his application correctly? He also checked online today and it gave him a personalized offer.

He asked for a credit limit increase on both of his capital one cards. One was increased by $1000 no problem, and the other they wanted annual income. He's going to send it in (as they said he should within 14 days), but his question is has anyone ever NOT sent it in and did they get an increase? It said "if you do not respond within 14 days we will use the information we have to make a decision." Just thought that was weird. He got the 7-10 message on both of his increase requests and as I said, one was approved within a few days the other needs additional info.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Peronalized Offer & Cap 1 Income

Anyone?

Message 2 of 9
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

First post, he scared to post on here himself?! lol Smiley Happy

1) Discover sends all kinds of offers and has known to just use them as marketing and not pre-approvals

2)Probably just seeing how much he makes now vs when he last applied, just put in the number and see what happens. they are known for being stingy so the fact he already got $1k isnt so bad.

hope this helps

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

He recently got an offer in the mail to apply for a Discover It card. He applied and got an "Unfortunately we cannot approve you at this time" message. Anyway, this was months ago, and the inquiry never showed up on any credit reports. Is that strange? Do you think they didn't pull his report or process his application correctly? He also checked online today and it gave him a personalized offer.

He asked for a credit limit increase on both of his capital one cards. One was increased by $1000 no problem, and the other they wanted annual income. He's going to send it in (as they said he should within 14 days), but his question is has anyone ever NOT sent it in and did they get an increase? It said "if you do not respond within 14 days we will use the information we have to make a decision." Just thought that was weird. He got the 7-10 message on both of his increase requests and as I said, one was approved within a few days the other needs additional info.

Thanks!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Started: 4/14 Bank of America Signature $6k, 85% Utilization, 745 Fako
Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 3 of 9
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Discover is strange and for Cap 1 I have two accounts. The fist account I can't get a CLI on by request and the other one every six mouths I can get one.

Message 4 of 9
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

These are difficult questions for most on the board to answer. Perhaps the discover question should be redirected toward a CSR. 

Also, was there no letter explaining the reason for decline? There shoud've been a score along with the agency it was obtained from.

Definitely sounds weird though.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 5 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Are we sure he didn't mistype his social or something when applying for Discover?   There should have been a HP on one of his CRAs.  And he should have gotten a decline letter with the CRA name and credit score.  If not, then I think there was something wrong with his application.

But just for grins, go to Discover website and use the name Micky Mouse for the pre-appvroval.  See if he gets the same personalized message as he gets when he puts in his real info.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ha, you're right! I put in Mickey Mouse and some random 4 numbers, and sure enough, there was the personalized offer. 

Message 7 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Yes, Discover's pre-approval site is just a marketing thing.  It isn't that useful.

I don't know about Discover, but some CCC's will black list you if you burn them (e.g. include them in BK).  In those cases, they don't pull your credit report, they just decline you based on the black list.  They don't have to send you your credit score and reasons because they didn't pull it.   But I think you would see the old account on his credit report if this was the case. 

But there has to be reason why his credit wasn't pulled.  Discover is a fairly easy card to get for people just starting out.  I would try again after a couple more months.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, he never had a Discover card and doesn't have anything in collections and we checked his credit report and like i said, nothing! however, there are like 4 different addresses on his report and he has lived at the same address since he was born.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.