Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Phone Machine CLI Question

tag
Powerade
Established Member

Discover Phone Machine CLI Question

Hello!  I recently called the number on the back of my Discover card and I heard there was an option for a CLI via an automated machine.

Does anyone have experience using this automated phone option and whether it results in a hard pull or soft pull (or either, depending on the situation)?  If hard pull, would it notify the caller before proceeding?

I'm also wondering whether it asks the caller for an amount or just gives whatever is available.

Thanks for the information!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ILFarmer

Re: Discover Phone Machine CLI Question

I literally just did this less than 15 min ago. I don't know if it was a hard pull or a soft pull, but all I had to do was enter my monthly housing payment and annual income. My CL was $2800, and they upped it to $4300. If they did a hard pull I was not notified. I really doubt it because my limit has been increased 2 other (3 total one automated) times on this card and my report only shows 1 inqury from discover (1 inqury total as I only have this card) and it was nearly 2 years ago, probably my first increase. 

Message 2 of 10
nick125
Valued Member

It asks for annual income and your housing payment amount. It's normally a soft pull, I believe, and it will transfer you to someone if it requires a hard pull with the message "we need more information, please hold while we transfer you." You're free to hang up at that point, as that's what I normally do. 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 3 of 10
Stralem
Established Contributor

Yep. Discover is nice in that they'll grant soft pull credit limits. It's one of the best things about having a Discover card. I don't remember if the machine will give a counter offer if what you ask for is beyond what an SP will get you, but worst case scenario, you can ask the rep for a counter offer.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 4 of 10
Jamisonke
New Contributor

I tried this earlier today and, alas, no love from Discover. This is my lowest credit limit card and I've never gotten any advancement from them. Back to the sock drawer.
--------------------------------
Current FICO scores: EQ 762, EX 761, TU 773
Message 5 of 10
Jbb2788
Regular Contributor

I tried this earlier today and I didn't even get the option to apply for a CLI...I called the number on the back of the card, entered the last 5 of my social and listened to all of the options. Did I do everything correctly or is there a special # to call?

**10/31/13
EX-650
EQ-660
TU-660
GOAL: 750 ACROSS THE BOARD
Last App: 10/13
Gardening Until: 4/14 (At least)
Message 6 of 10
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Although I have never called in for a cli on my Discover Card, they have auto increased me twice. They have notified me via mail both times and they were soft inquiries. I would tend to believe that  they use "behavior science" a fancy term in the industry for saying they use your payment history, timing, used credit vs cli limit and other internal inftormation to offer you an increase. I have been a user/holder of this card about 4 years and a very happy consumer.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 7 of 10
YahComb
Established Contributor

@Jbb2788 wrote:

I tried this earlier today and I didn't even get the option to apply for a CLI...I called the number on the back of the card, entered the last 5 of my social and listened to all of the options. Did I do everything correctly or is there a special # to call?

you have to choose more options, then i think #3 from that menu is the CLI button.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 8 of 10
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

If it was HP, which report do they pull from?  And SP from which bureau?  Thanks.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 10
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

I was Equifax or Trans Union.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.