Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Point Hoarding

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Point Hoarding

For me it's just a piggy bank that I try to ignore for a rainy day.

Disco has about $240 in it and Amex I'm right at $175 this month.

Sure I could take it and throw it into checking for 2.5% APY but, just don't for whatever reason.  Part of it might be the challenge of not touching it like a savings account or meeting the next threshold level.  Maybe building it up for a better redemption for something later on like if I need a GC for something a bit more high end and get another 10-20% out of converting it.  

Now with my new accounts the whole purpose was to get them and use the $150 rebate against some purchases instead of hoarding them.  BOA was a quick turn around on redemption and Chase is dragging their feet until the statement cuts to hand over the cash.

Message 11 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

For many of the gift card redemptions, you leverage the Discover Rewards for 25% or more added value, beyond what that balance shows. I have redeemed some, such as an Applebee's meal redemption via the app, but keeping the $270 for some similar future "better deal".

Worst case, it is a nice fund if I decide to earmark it for some other future purchase. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoarding my $250 in Discover Rewards (will be $300 or more before the end of July because of the restaurant's category!)

I'm holding onto it for the increased redemption value for gift card, or other things. It's worth more sitting there Compared to if I had it in my regular savings because whenever I need it I can use it for their deals.
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

For example: If I wanted a Bath & Body works Gift Card (we shop there at least 6 times a year), redeeming through Discover I could get one at a 20% Discount on Face Value ($20 for a $25 Gift Card or $40 for a $50 Gift Card). So to me personally it's worth it, and I can cash out any portion I want whenever I want.
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love using my Disco points for gift cards at 25% off. DW and I have one store we shop at every month so this gives us extra. 

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Those that allow your CB to build up for long periods of time, I'm curious as to why you do so.  I've always seen it as giving the creditor an interest free loan.  I feel I could be doing more with a few hundred bucks than letting it sitting an an account as unclaimed rewards.  I'd like to hear from those that do allow their rewards to pile up though so I can understand different perspectives on this.

I am doing it because I plan to treat myself to something fun that I normally would not buy after my first year when I get the additional points credit. And hopefully my points will pretty much pay it off.  ( on my discover )

I always use my cash back on my cap one card as a statement credit as soon as it hits. 

Those were my only CB cards until Chase Amazon which I am not sure if I will hoard or not. 

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

For me it's just a piggy bank that I try to ignore for a rainy day.

Disco has about $240 in it and Amex I'm right at $175 this month.

Sure I could take it and throw it into checking for 2.5% APY but, just don't for whatever reason.  Part of it might be the challenge of not touching it like a savings account or meeting the next threshold level.  Maybe building it up for a better redemption for something later on like if I need a GC for something a bit more high end and get another 10-20% out of converting it.  

Now with my new accounts the whole purpose was to get them and use the $150 rebate against some purchases instead of hoarding them.  BOA was a quick turn around on redemption and Chase is dragging their feet until the statement cuts to hand over the cash.

Learning a lot from you in this thread. GC stand for gift card? How does it get another 10 to 20? 
Boy I beter go clicking on links in my disco account to see everyhting looks like I miss out on benifits I did not know about because I never have.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

For many of the gift card redemptions, you leverage the Discover Rewards for 25% or more added value, beyond what that balance shows. I have redeemed some, such as an Applebee's meal redemption via the app, but keeping the $270 for some similar future "better deal".

Worst case, it is a nice fund if I decide to earmark it for some other future purchase. 

Okay yup def more research for me

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
For example: If I wanted a Bath & Body works Gift Card (we shop there at least 6 times a year), redeeming through Discover I could get one at a 20% Discount on Face Value ($20 for a $25 Gift Card or $40 for a $50 Gift Card). So to me personally it's worth it, and I can cash out any portion I want whenever I want.

Okay this clears it up a bit for me...must be in disco deals? I should have read everyones responses before asking about the gift cards

Message 19 of 23
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

It's ok CG.... You'll do fine as long as you try to keep up.  We lend a hand whenever we see someone in need.  Just keep following and you'll get up to speed pretty quickly.

GC gift card 

DD disco deals

DD + GC = more value 

Similar to using your UR's if you have Chase or some of the shopping portals like Ebates / Southwest RR's / Amex offers / others

It's only as complicated as the CCC's make it though Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.