Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Price Protection: New vs. Refurbished

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Discover Price Protection: New vs. Refurbished

Does anyone have experience with Discover Price protection refunding them for buying a new item when a refurbished one is available for cheaper? I bought a Fitbit on Amazon last month for $80 and there are refurbished ones for $50 via woot.com.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover Price Protection: New vs. Refurbished

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 11
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

Does anyone have experience with Discover Price protection refunding them for buying a new item when a refurbished one is available for cheaper? I bought a Fitbit on Amazon last month for $80 and there are refurbished ones for $50 via woot.com.

If you bought new, you have to price match an item that is also new.

An alternative is to go on eBay and find the same item in new condition that has a "Buy It Now Price". Take a screen shot of the whole listing and send it it. I was able about to do this for a $840 Samsung phone I bought from BestBuy. I found one on eBay and sent in the info for price match. It took about a month for the whole process but I just got my check of $190 a couple days ago.

I figured it had to be new but thought it was worth a try. I'll give the eBay method a shot. Thanks! Was it the exact same phone or will they still honor it if it's a different color as long as the specs are the same? I've heard it's a fairly liberal policy.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 3 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

If you bought new, you have to price match an item that is also new.

An alternative is to go on eBay and find the same item in new condition that has a "Buy It Now Price". Take a screen shot of the whole listing and send it it. I was able about to do this for a $840 Samsung phone I bought from BestBuy. I found one on eBay and sent in the info for price match. It took about a month for the whole process but I just got my check of $190 a couple days ago.

I didn't know that ebay was accepted (I thought at least Citi and others required a retailer).     This seems a good set up for abuse, get a friend to post the phone on ebay for $50 (and tell other buyers it had gone) and use that price to claim the difference from Discover.

Message 4 of 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^You mean Discover? Smiley Tongue

And I'm sure there's some restrictions somewhere in there.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 11
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, thanks, fixed!

Message 7 of 11
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 8 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Discover does seem pretty lenient.   When I broke my cell phone, I applied for purchase protection refund from Discover and also fclaimed rom the insurer.  Despite telling discover that I had insurance (and at the time was waiting for their decision, so I expected Discover to just pay the deductible) they both paid, meaning I made about $200 from breaking my phone.   A new MS opportunity!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't they exclude auction sites?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.