Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Price Protection Program?

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

Discover Price Protection Program?

Was logging into my account and an ad was on the screen for this program. I don't recall hearing about it before, is this new? Anyone used it? I am curious does it cover online purchases? Just bought a bunch of shoes online to get the 5% bonus right now and if they go on sale later I would like the difference back.

Price Protection Discover covers the difference if you find a better price.

Shop with confidence now. Don't miss out on the sale price later. If you see an item you purchased at any store at a lower price within 90 days, Discover will cover the difference.

KEY FEATURES

• Get the Best PriceWe'll refund the difference up to $500 if you find a lower price within 90 days of making a Discover card purchase.
  • Available to all CardmembersThis exclusive benefit is complimentary to you as a valued Cardmember. We've got you covered when you use your
    Discover card.
  • Easy Claims ProcessCall 1-800-DISCOVER to ask questions or file a claim.
What is Price Protection?If you find a lower price on a recently purchased item at any store within 90 days of purchasing the item with your Discover card, you are automatically eligible for a reimbursement of the price difference up to $500.View Price Protection
Do I have to pay a fee for Price Protection?No. However, the entire cost of the qualifying purchase must be charged to your Discover Card for coverage to apply.
View My Benefits
How do I start the claim process?Call 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683) if you find a lower price on an item you purchased within 90 days.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
compassion101
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Price Protection Program?

It's a nice perk but I've never had occassion to use it. It's not new though. Let us know i you use it and how it goes

Message 2 of 8
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Definitely a nice perk, haven't used it before but I can imagine especially with Discover that they would have no problem reimbursting you if your purchase goes on sale. I would say yes it would work for online purchases, I believe any purchase made on your DIscover card. However there might be a couple of exclusions, try checking the terms for that info.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 3 of 8
mlj01
Established Member

From what I read it has been around for atleast a year. Alot of people used it on Black Friday last year.

I used it less then a month after I got the card, bought my Galaxy S4 from Verizon(who decided they were going to change my instant $50 off to a $50 rebate card that takes like 3 months to recieve). I filled out the paperwork for like $120 different as it was a pricematch to Costco. They sent me a check for $100, so I don't know if there is a liability portion, or what. I did include a 2nd sale price for a Amazon purchase that was like $40-60 more then the Costco ad, just in case they decline to say that there is no proof of a membership.

Short story: Price protection is great, definately quicker then rebates and their customer service is great, alot better then trying to work out price matches with customer service of merchants.

SALLIE MAE WORLD MASTERCARD: $5000 | AMEX BCE: $3000 | DISCOVER IT STUDENT: $3000| CHASE FREEDOM: $2500

Discover FICO: 746
Message 4 of 8
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@mlj01 wrote:

From what I read it has been around for atleast a year. Alot of people used it on Black Friday last year.

I used it less then a month after I got the card, bought my Galaxy S4 from Verizon(who decided they were going to change my instant $50 off to a $50 rebate card that takes like 3 months to recieve). I filled out the paperwork for like $120 different as it was a pricematch to Costco. They sent me a check for $100, so I don't know if there is a liability portion, or what. I did include a 2nd sale price for a Amazon purchase that was like $40-60 more then the Costco ad, just in case they decline to say that there is no proof of a membership.

Short story: Price protection is great, definately quicker then rebates and their customer service is great, alot better then trying to work out price matches with customer service of merchants.

Awesome to know it works hassle-free.  I actually researched the features and benefits before app'ing for IT and the Price Protection was one of the benefits that appealed to me.  I haven't had a need for it yet.  I just got my IT in March.  But with the holidays approaching, I can see Price Protection being a nice perk.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 5 of 8
JasonKR
Regular Contributor

considering between Amex and DIscover Smiley Frustrated..

seems like Amex's warranty extension works better I guess?(and faster?) Idk.. 

Any experience? Smiley Happy

BoA Better Balance Reward - $1.5k (01/13) | Discover It for Student - $1.7k (04/13) | Capital One QuickSilver - $2k (05/13) | Amazon Rewards Visa Card - $700 (10/13) | Citi Forward for Student - $2.4k (10/13) | Amex BCE - $6k (10/13) | Chase Freedom - $1.5k (11/13) | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6.5k (12/13) | Amex Delta Gold - $8.7k(12/13) | Chase IHG - $4k (2/14) | Chase Hyatt - $5k (2/14) | Amex Platinum (2/14) | Citi ThankYou Preferred - $3.5k (4/14) | Chase United Explorer - $5k (9/14) | Amex Delta Gold business - $3k (9/14) | I ALWAYS pay in full
(Future card: Barclaycard Arrival+, Amex SPG+Everyday, Chase Ink+Marriott, Citi Hilton Reserve+HHonors)
Message 6 of 8
Vikz27
New Contributor

Amex adds one year without considering extended warranty while discover adds one year on top of any extended warranty purchased with their card. In other words with amex you get two years and of coverage while on discover if you buy let's Say Apple laptop with AppleCare you have 3 years of coverage and discover adds a 4th year on top of that. I find discovers warranty better on that part.
Message 7 of 8
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

It use to be a minimum $25 price difference in order for the protection to kick in with some credit cards. Any stipulations with this one in the agreement? 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.