Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Price Protection

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Discover Price Protection

Nice story, Webbie! I'd be cautious to proceed with disputing charges though. Too many of them may raise a red flag. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 22
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Amex does better than price protection in my opinion. 

If you dispute a charge, they almost always take your side.

For example. I used my Amex card at a vending machine and the $0.55 cup of coffee did not vend.  At that point I was upset because it was below freezing and the coffee would have warmed me up.

I made a special point of logging onto Amex and disputing the charge since no goods were received.

My $0.55 was returned with no questions asked.

That's mostly due to the amount. I think AmEx has the highest cost of investigating, so if you dispute an amount at or below a certain threshold, the system will issue a permanent credit and close out the case. However if they see a pattern of abuse, they will begin researching even $1 disputes.

Message 12 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

In $63910 worth of charges since becoming an Amex cardmember, I've disputed $15.54 in charges. I think I am safe as far as charge disputes go.

The first was a $14.99 charge that I didn't recognize for a service I didn't remember signing up for. The second was for a $0.55 cup of coffee that I didn't get to drink Smiley Sad

By no means am I advocating for folks to dispute charges that have no reason for dispute.  But, its nice to know that Amex will protect you and take your side if there is a question.

I put this out there as more of an FYI when it comes to charges... Amex, NFCU, and Discover in my experience will take care of you and treat you right.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 22
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

In $63910 worth of charges since becoming an Amex cardmember, I've disputed $15.54 in charges. I think I am safe as far as charge disputes go.

Oh yeah you're safe, even if you did 10% lol I was posting general info about the disputes process and permanent credits.

Message 14 of 22
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

I used it a few months ago. You have to call in, they transfer you to the Price Protection Department, and they take some info and then mail you the paperwork. You then have to fill out the paperwork and send it in with the proof and wait a a few weeks for them to approve it and then wait a few weeks to get a check. It's not a quick or easy process, but it works.

Thanks for the info...I haven't had to use this benefit yet, but it's good to know it's there.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 15 of 22
cottontop
Contributor

Well, sent claim form off April 23rd, got $150 check in the mail today. Price difference on a lawn mower that went on sale three weeks after I bought it. I'm impressed, DiscoverCard!
Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 16 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 17 of 22
bekindtoedward
New Visitor

Hi. Do you think a bestbuy webpage print out of an on sale ipad air acceptable?

I am processing the claim for my wife, they mentioned to her, that a printed advertisement is required, but thats a problem if they are strict about it, coz I can only find a webpage about it.

Thanks
Message 18 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

@cottontop wrote:
Well, sent claim form off April 23rd, got $150 check in the mail today. Price difference on a lawn mower that went on sale three weeks after I bought it. I'm impressed, DiscoverCard!

That is awesome. Congratulations! 1 bonus point for Discover! Robot wink

Message 19 of 22
H4LO
Established Contributor

@bekindtoedward wrote:
Hi. Do you think a bestbuy webpage print out of an on sale ipad air acceptable?

I am processing the claim for my wife, they mentioned to her, that a printed advertisement is required, but thats a problem if they are strict about it, coz I can only find a webpage about it.

Thanks

As long as it shows a date. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.