Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Q2

tag
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover Q2

I am super excited that this is Q2! I have a pretty large basement renovation project coming up that I need to buy stuff for in mid-April so this is perfect!

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait, so you spend $3500/mo on a card with a $400 limit?  Man, that's some micromanaging having to not only make multiple payments per month, but multiple payments per week!

Any chance of getting that Discover limit bumped up?  I would think based on your spend, there probably isn't a better CLI candidate in existence!

Not all on the Discover. Most goes on others cards (mostly Citi DC). $1000 is the most I've been able to put on the $400 Discover in a month. I could've gotten more if I didn't want to report a $0 statement balance. I've gotten pretty good at micromanaging my small limits, but I don't think $3500 would be possible (certainly not with Discover dragging their feet to post the transactions). 

It's still a secured card, and I only deposited more to make the wholesale quarters easier to max out. My next statement will be #7, so I'm hoping it might graduate soon. I've heard on here that they like to see conservative usage, so I think I'm about to find out if that's true. I would deposit more, but given the chance that I'm making Discover hate me with the way I use the card, I don't want to tie up any more money than is necessary not knowing when I'll get it back.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, one great thing about the Home Improvement part of Q2 is that Memorial Day is one of the holidays that folks really need to be stocking up on charcoal at Lowe's/HD. If you grill a lot, you need to be buying all your charcoal for the year on Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. Lowe's/HD run great sales every year on those holidays. It varies, but usually $10-13 for about 38-40 pounds of Kingsford charcoal. That's roughly half price based on year round prices (though the sales aren't quite as awesome as they used to be). I normally buy about 200 lbs. on each of the holidays (a little more on Labor Day to get me through the Winter). Just remember not to store the charcoal on a concrete floor and it will easily last for a years.

Just an idea for those that might end up looking for ways to max out Discover's Q2.

Message 23 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Crap quarter for me personally being the 2nd for Discover offerings..  Guess the CSR will continue to get my eating out spend and Discover will get the SD the whole quarter as GC's just aren't my things and as stated earlier hate having to keep track of the exact amount left on a GC and being able to possibly use it all without leaving money left on it for say x food establishment.   Was hoping it would be 2nd quarter at least for part so i could max out the 1500 before my double cash is over, but isn't meant to happen.   I wanted to like discover, but still by far my lowest CL and now a bad cataegory, does it ever get better.. sigh.  Whether I keep it after the double cash aka first year depends on the CLI they give or dont give me when i hit a year and a sizeable apr reduction as i am at their highest as well... 1st world problems of mine

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sooo... I'm still confused... does ikea count as a home improvement store? Around that time we wil be buying a new kitchen, so that'd be very helpful...
Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Discover's categories for Q2 are now showing on their website. Home improvement stores and wholesale clubs. No restaurants. They often do restaurants in Q2 and home improvement in Q3, so maybe they are just swapping them - can't tell at this time since Q3 is unknown.

Guess this card will just sit in the drawer for another several months unless I have an unforeseen large Home Depot purchase or something. Kind of disappointing. The wholesale club thing is nice but I'm debating whether it's even worth continuning my BJ's membership at this time; my spend isn't large there.

Hopefully some people will be happy with these categories but to me they are quite "meh"! I like my Discover card -- the APR is nice, the limit is high, and they have good customer service -- I just wish the card itself proved more useful. The 5% thing has gotten very stale.

That will be 3 quarters in a row that it's been good for 5% at Sams Club, if my math is correct.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.