Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Q2

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Discover Q2

I'm not really interested in the gift card thing. I don't enjoy keeping track of balances, carrying a bunch of various gift cards, etc. My spend isn't huge enough that it's that big of a deal; I just find the categories disappointing.
Message 11 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Works out fine for me, honestly.  My BJ's card (5% back) has a massive 0% BT on it until March 2018, and Q2 will be my last double cash back for my Discover it so I'm more than happy to get 10% effective cash back.  Just so happy that it doesn't overlap with Chase Freedom this time - there's no way I could come close to maxing out $3k combined in "gas and local transportation" or something like that.  Restaurants, Amazon, BJ's - no problem.

Message 12 of 26
yfan
Valued Contributor

I remember they had home improvement in Q3 last year. I remember because I bought my home during Q3 last year and tapped out both my and my SO's Discover cards. So I was kind of expecting dining to come back in Q2, but oh well.

Fortunately, wholesale clubs are still there, and I have been shopping online at Costco.com as much as possible. Aside from food items (which I don't buy much at Costco anyway), pretty much everything else is available online, and usually with free shipping. I also buy gift cards from Costco (again most available online AND 20%+ discounted) for our favorite restaurants as well as movie tickets, so the dining spend is becoming less of a concern for me over time.

Message 13 of 26
python0704
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not terribly excited about these, as Costco is our only wholesale store here, and we rent so we don't make a ton of home improvement purchases. At least I can order online from Costco, and there are a lot of things at home improvement other than just home improvement. I'll get the most I can out of this category since my cashback match will end in July. Smiley Sad

If you buy costco cash card online to use instore to max out the $1500. Even have some left for 3rd quater if warehouse isn't 5%.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

These categories are becoming less useful for me. I may consider applying for the Miles card for the 3x 1st year and shutting this one down
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  I'm more interested in Chase's Amazon Prime Rewards for the next few months.  I don't shop at Costco much and I rent, so I don't see a major benefit to this quarter.  I could buy a Costco gift card and use it for gas, but I really don't drive far enough on a daily basis to even maximize that benefit.  A complete waist of a quarter.  Back to Amazon Prime Rewards for 6 months.  

Message 16 of 26
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

Discover's categories for Q2 are now showing on their website. Home improvement stores and wholesale clubs. No restaurants. They often do restaurants in Q2 and home improvement in Q3, so maybe they are just swapping them - can't tell at this time since Q3 is unknown.

Guess this card will just sit in the drawer for another several months unless I have an unforeseen large Home Depot purchase or something. Kind of disappointing. The wholesale club thing is nice but I'm debating whether it's even worth continuning my BJ's membership at this time; my spend isn't large there.

Hopefully some people will be happy with these categories but to me they are quite "meh"! I like my Discover card -- the APR is nice, the limit is high, and they have good customer service -- I just wish the card itself proved more useful. The 5% thing has gotten very stale.

IIRC, this is at least the 3rd quarter in a row where Wholesale Clubs was an option.   They must love that spend.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. This is outstanding news. The main reason I even care to have credit cards is to get cash back at Sam's. I spend about $3500 a month there (business expenses). I'm also still in the CB match year until October. 

It gets tricky on the Discover with a $400 limit, but that's just part of the fun. It took some micromanaging, but I'll hit the Q1 bonus limit by this Sunday. BTW, anybody notice Discover takes longer than others to post transactions?  I've split some single Sam's transactions between the Discover and the Citi, and the Citi part usually posts about 36 hours before the Discover.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree.  I'm more interested in Chase's Amazon Prime Rewards for the next few months.  I don't shop at Costco much and I rent, so I don't see a major benefit to this quarter.  I could buy a Costco gift card and use it for gas, but I really don't drive far enough on a daily basis to even maximize that benefit.  A complete waist of a quarter.  Back to Amazon Prime Rewards for 6 months.  

Amazon Chase sounds awesome, but times like these are why I like having both the Discover and the Freedom. I don't really care if one has a quarter that doesn't fit my spending because there's a always a very good chance the other does. 

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, so you spend $3500/mo on a card with a $400 limit?  Man, that's some micromanaging having to not only make multiple payments per month, but multiple payments per week!

Any chance of getting that Discover limit bumped up?  I would think based on your spend, there probably isn't a better CLI candidate in existence!

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.