Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Refuses to Admit Fraudulent Charge

tag
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Refuses to Admit Fraudulent Charge

In light of all of the "Love" that Discover has been getting recently, I find this story troubling.  Based on the information that the OP has provided here, if this happened to me, I would be very upset.  Fortunately, I haven't had any fraudulent charges made against any of my accounts (knock knock on wood!) and apparently, I better hope that it never happens with my Discover account. Smiley Indifferent  At the same time, it is good to see that others have reported receiving great customer service from Discover when working through similar incidents.

I hope that the OP is able to get a better resolution from Discover regarding this.

Message 51 of 64
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This whole situation is quite horrifying to me. 

I really don't want a Discover card, if I'm going to be treated like this when my card is stolen. And I truly know it's only a matter of time, before it is. 

To the OP - Please keep us updated. I think a lot of members, are now, kinda worried. 

You are new to the forums.  But a lot of members have seen stuff come and go, and are NOT worried (my Discover It, purple, arrived today).

Signature needs updating
Message 52 of 64
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This whole situation is quite horrifying to me. 

I really don't want a Discover card, if I'm going to be treated like this when my card is stolen. And I truly know it's only a matter of time, before it is. 

To the OP - Please keep us updated. I think a lot of members, are now, kinda worried. 

You are new to the forums.  But a lot of members have seen stuff come and go, and are NOT worried (my Discover It, purple, arrived today).

Agreed -- I don't think OP's situation is the norm (yes, we have seen a few cases of it but I doubt it's rampant in the real world) and anyone can have a bad experience with any company. I don't think it's cause to worry. Smiley Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 53 of 64
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I had a situation with a merchant in which I made a return, and they never refunded my money (it was some computer memory/RAM if it matters, cost around $200). I contacted Discover, and after around a one month investigation, they refunded my money with no drama. I'm sorry the OP is going through this, but I haven't had this experience with them. Hopefully you can get it worked out soon.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 54 of 64
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

In light of all of the "Love" that Discover has been getting recently, I find this story troubling.  Based on the information that the OP has provided here, if this happened to me, I would be very upset.  Fortunately, I haven't had any fraudulent charges made against any of my accounts (knock knock on wood!) and apparently, I better hope that it never happens with my Discover account. Smiley Indifferent  At the same time, it is good to see that others have reported receiving great customer service from Discover when working through similar incidents.

I hope that the OP is able to get a better resolution from Discover regarding this.

This thread should not deter anyone from applying for the card. It's a great card, and with the double cash-back bonus, it's stellar for its categories.

My story of having a $244 fraudulent charge reversed in seconds (I called the moment I received a text message swipe alert) should make anyone feel better about Discover.

This seems to be an isolated, and strange incident.

It's inconceivable that Discover (or any creditor) would refuse to acknowledge a charge as fraudulent... Smiley Frustrated

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 55 of 64
MarcusCrassus
Established Member

Will do. I suspect that Discover is not going to change its tune unless external pressure causes it to rethink its position.

As for others who have had better experiences with Discover, bully for them, but my case deals with the security department, not general customer service, and I did not have the good fortune of catching the charge before the merchant processed and mailed the merchandise. Cardholders should not be expected to check activity on their accounts daily. It's nice if a CC issues a temporary credit quickly, but what matters most is whether it's permanent.

Because cyberfraud is a big problem, I'm surprised that CCs like Discover do not have simple menu options that cardholders can easily choose that would reduce fraud like allowing the cardholder to require that all online purchases be sent to their billing address (Paypal-Ebay has a version of this).

Message 56 of 64
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I don't have that option on Chase, capital one, Barclays, Amex, my credit union nor Discover. I do have text messaging of purchase over x amount.
Signature needs updating
Message 57 of 64
MarcusCrassus
Established Member

I did not mean to imply that Discover is unusual in that particular respect. Paypal is unusual (presumably because of the extent of fraud associated with ebay), but it should not be.

Message 58 of 64
linux007969
Established Contributor

Why hasn't anyone suggested to contact their Executive Office to have them investigate? Smiley Surprised

1 866 222 0536

Give them a call on Monday

Or email them: executiveoffices@discoverfinancial.com

Rebuilding Credit since 2016
Debt: Almost $80,000
Message 59 of 64
Bman70
Established Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
I don't have that option on Chase, capital one, Barclays, Amex, my credit union nor Discover. I do have text messaging of purchase over x amount.

My Amex has a text alert option for any "card not present" transaction. Which is pretty much any online or phone purchase. That's actually how I caught the ~$300 fraudulent charge, same day it went through. They had it reversed the next day. I was impressed with their fraud dept. The CSR said "We try to make it really easy to deal with, since it can be scary and confusing when that happens." They really seemed to care. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.